Fitting a volt meter ?

Hello all

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a volt meter in the dash where the rheostat goes. However the main issue is, how best to make the larger hole for the gauge to fit. Yes a round cutter, but all the ones I have seen have large cutting teeth, which I guess would crack the existing laquer and likely make a nice mess. Has anyone done this and were you able to find a fine toothed cutter of the right size ? - If so where from ?

Thank you

best Bill

Why not fit it in place of the ammeter Bill? Saves causing any problems cutting a hole. Charge and discharge as well as battery condition are shown much better on the voltmeter.

john

Good question, would be interested to hear replies from people who've done this.

I know when I used to build guitars, often when drilling holes I'd drill from the reverse, and place the face where the drill eventually poked through against something flat, clamped to it, like another piece of hardwood or similar. That way when the drill ultimately breaks through, there's no splintering or cracks, but also no risk of marring the surface from the intial bite of the drill bit either.

Good advise John, the A meter is more or less useless,

I'd much prefer the ammeter as you can use it (without the engine running) to get a reassuring scale movement that your lights are working, pump running correctly and that is will let you know instantly that your alternator is keeping up with those extra spotlights etc.

There were good reasons to discard it on later cars.

The ammeter was standard fit on virtually all the early dynamo equipment bikes (8-0-8) and cars (30-0-30) for the above latter reason and it was only for cost reasons (heavy copper wire) that it was displaced by a voltmeter. I could add that marketing saw it was easier for the non skilled to interpretate, but that is fighting talk!

Perhaps I'm biased being electrical having spent my life relying on analogue and digital meters!

I have a two wire digital voltmeter (ie not reliant on independant source battery to measure voltage under test) reading 0 to 19.99 V that is available on eBay for under a £10 that from memory will use 1 Ah in a week when left connected and illuminated that I have on a cigarette lighter plug for checking mine and other vehicles.

Regards

Bill

I'd much prefer the ammeter as you can use it (without the engine running) to get a reassuring scale movement that your lights are working, pump running correctly and that is will let you know instantly that your alternator is keeping up with those extra spotlights etc.

As mentioned, the voltmeter will show all that, just as well, I still have my ammeter fitted in the dash (not used), but I suspect that it was the reason that my car was originally burnt out behind the dash. The voltmeter is fitted in the 'H' bracket assembly....but then 'originality' doesn't feature very highly with my car.

john

Johny, I think one of the reasons to replace the A meter was safety in other words, remove the load from under the dash

If I see how many people fiddle around under the dash without disconnecting the battery and even wearing a watch with steel band , :( not funny at all

Anyhow with all the additional gadgets connected anywhere in the circuit most A meters will give wrong indications .

Edited by jean

I put a gauge in because I just didn't like the reostsat switch! :angry:

Masking tape over where you are going to cut,drill small hole and use a fret saw to cut out main body hole.

Then the tricky bit I used a Dremmel to recess the the gauge into the wood. :(

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/damson6/IMG_0298_zpsc4291e41.jpg

Edited by Damson6