Finally found a 5

After 3 years looking I have finally got a TR5. It is in Valencia blue, the body was rebuilt some years ago and the car has recently had a refurbished, modified chassis, powder coated with TRGB tele shock conversion with GAZ adjustable shocks, up rated springs and Poly bushed throughout.

The engine fitted at present is a triumph experimental one X1255E which was in the stag fastback prototype.

The engine has been rebored and fitted with new hepolite pistons, crank reground, hardened and balanced with a lightened flywheel and fully balanced through to the clutch. Alloy sump fitted.

Camshaft is a racetorations 777, stage 2 unleaded head polished and ported to the manifolds. Valve guides are sintered bronze insert type. TWM manifold with triple DHLA Dellorto's. Exhaust system 6 into 1 S/S big bore.

Oil cooler and pacet fan fitted. The car came with a spare engine and a van full of other TR5/6 bits.

My sincere thanks to Roger Ferris for his prompt help and advice prior to the purchase, and I think there may be a small mention in his next Registrars report.

Oh I am a happy bunny :D

p.s. Ian, there was no handbook with it. Damm !!!

Hi Jon, No Sherwood Restorations still have the 6 for sale for me. Its shown in their ad in Classic and sports cars this month.

Needless to say my bank manager is not as happy as me at the present time. :)

Guest Marvel901

Hi Rex,

Car looks very good indeed, hope you have a lot of fun in it. Any of the pile of 4a/5 bits that you dont need I might be interested in. Harry Dent was right about the register doing a handbook repro though CHris says there are 'copyright issues involved'

Best wishes

Rex

Looks a very good example from the photo...

Welcome to the '5' fold!!! Whilst I have only had mine since September, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time!!! The family 'convoy' (wife in Spit) had a great day out in the sun on Sunday and a good drive up onto the NY Moors the Sunday before!!!

Roll on summer!!! :D

Hi Rex,

Now that is a nice car!

I know Steve having bought some bits off him early in the year. He is a great guy and he enjoyed starting the 5 just to show me the noise it made! Wow....

I was having trouble with my injection system at the time and fleetingly toyed with the idea of selling my 5 and buying this one, cos it's on carbs. Decided to persevere with fixing my injection, which I have now done, thank goodness.

I'm sure it goes like whatsit off a shovel, so enjoy!!

best wishes

Ray

Edited by raydrink

Nice toy, Rex! No doubt worth the wait and whatever price you paid for it. Looks lovely without disallowing the joys of thrashing it - an ideal state.

I happen to have a very similar TR250, in Valencia too, 12 year old paint still lovely but no longer concourse, Racetorations head with early P.I. cam, triple Weber DCOE40s, extractor + single bore exhaust, Surrey top, O/D and leather seats ( in tan ).

Here's to driving them - it may degrade their condition infinitesimally but it hugely inspires the general population and stimulates the demand, besides the thrill of the Michelotti 6 TR experience from the driver's seat :rolleyes:

Is it my imagination or actual that triple Weber ( or equal ) fitment is gaining popularity with these :huh:

Ray, I phoned steve when I got back from halifax after collecting the car, he had never heard anyone else drive it and said that as he heard it going down the valley he nearly ran down to give me my money back it sounded so good. :D

Tom, I would be interested to see a photo of your TR250 with the tan interior set against the valencia blue.

I think more people are putting triple webers or similar on 5's and 6's these days. Racetorations seem to always have them on the cars they are selling.

:D

Thanks, Rex :)

No, the wheels are Panasport ( Japanese ) with decorative spinners. These came with the car when I got it in 2002 and I would like to find another set of the spinners for my other car, also with Panasports albeit the discontinued style ( slightly more exaggerated ). 15 x 6 on mine, in silver, available also in Anthracite or Gold. Highly acclaimed wheels apparently. Tyres are Dunlop 185-15 SP Sport H speed rated; correct for U.S. cars but not often seen on them today. <_<