Poly bushes

Hi all,

I'm in the process of overhauling the front suspension (started with fitting a Kenlowe Fan!) and have noticed that the upper wishbone bushes fitted to the car were in two halves, while the poly bush replacements are single piece. Is this correct or have I got a bad kit?

Cheers

Not always - my poly bush kit came from Rimmers and they were all two piece bushes including the ones for the trailing arms, a doddle to fit!

Now that would have made my re-bushing project many times easier, faster and less offensive to passers-by! Getting those trailing arm bushes in was an exercise in patience, although there's definitely a knack which I learned after doing, let me see, four of them :blink:

Cheers,

John

Bob, don't forget to carefully clean and lubricate the wishbone eyes, if not the bushes might suffer of a short life.

John a large bolt and washers will prevent the bush to flex and jump around :( I have fitted several sets in about 10 minutes.

Thanks everybody!

One more (last!) question: What do I lubricate the wishbone eyes with? Is it just to help the bushes through the holes - I'm guessing at something like vaseline!

Thanks again in anticipation.

Thanks Jean - I used a vice. Bolt & washers probably more stable. I'll remember when I next rebuild the suspension (which I plan never to have to do!).

Bob - your kit should come with silicone grease. Use that. If it didn't, ask your supplier for some. I believe that electrician's silicone grease is also suitable.

Cheers,

John

I believe that electrician's silicone grease is also suitable.

Yes John, it's also excellent on bullet and spade connectors - water and dampness hate silicone grease - PO Telephone engineers used to crimp wires together, the crimp having a load of silicone grease inside it - stops corrosion/deterioration.

Just dont try painting any thing that has had any silicon grease or sealer anywhere near it or you will have the reaction known as fish eyes. I wont have any silicon based products anywhere near my workshop.

Stuart.

The poly bushes are a one piece unit, so you haven't got a duff kit.
Not always - my poly bush kit came from Rimmers and they were all two piece bushes including the ones for the trailing arms, a doddle to fit!

The decent kits do.

Edited by Andrew Smith