battery spec

Hi

I took Jon's advice last year and bought a Fiamm 072 from my local auto shop, it was only £40 odd and they had it the same afternoon, so it looks like they are easily available. Definitely cheaper than the orange and black rip off merchants!

Ron

Edited by ron

Another problem with O & B is that the "book" shows the battery for post 1972 TR6s being of much smaller capacity & reserve than earlier ones. I don't think the cars changed & they are not happy if you query then take back a wrecked battery. Duncan

O&B's computer comes up with a single spec for the TR6 of HB016 IIRC - which is only a 36Ah battery (Book says 57Ah) and is so physically small it needs to be packed out so it can be clamped in place (I know cos there's one fitted to mine which I need to change soon!)

Have found an apparently suitable Varta battery on their website - anyone had any experience of these?

Edited by Alpha206

I recently fitted a new battery to my 6, but on the continent it's very hard to find a battery with the +/- poles on the correct side for a 6. When fitted, with + pole on the right hand side, the battery has both connectors at the rear against the firewall. The original battery on my car was rectangular 27,5cm on 16,5 cm and 19cm high. The battery I bought now is that size and shows 77 Amp/h

Hi Jean, the correct battery for the 6 is the type 072, it is the same battery as used on a number of British vehicles, such as Triumhs, Rovers and Land Rovers. Compared with most contemporary cars, the terminal posts are reversed, but should be easily obtainable under the Type 072 number.

Have found an apparently suitable Varta battery on their website - anyone had any experience of these?

Haven't used one in a TR yet, but I had a replacement Varta battery fitted to my Skoda (don't laugh) in 2003 by the main dealer and after over 50000 miles of hard use and abuse it's still going strong. Despite the Skoda jokes, I have found that the parts fitted tend to be better quality and longer-lasting than on any other make of car I have owned. I would be happy to use a Varta battery in any car.

Yes, I agree Brian, for 1st choice I go for Fiamm, 2nd Varta - just been out in the TRs garage (not easy on 2 crutches with tools and bits all over the floor, but being out of the cast is like being let out prison - going stir crazy).

Fiamm Type 072 battery, Width is 17cms/ 6¾", Length 25.7cms/ 10 1/8", and Height 21cms/ 8¼". Rated at 70 Amp Hours, cranking current is 580, looking down on the top of battery Positive +ve terminal is bottom left hand corner and Negative -ve is bottom Right hand corner, and it sits on the bulkhead battery tray with terminals at the front, -ve earth terminal on the metering unit/ dizzy side and +ve on the injector air intake side of things. I hope this will help someone!

I believe that the CR series cars for UK delivery were factory equipped with a 36 a/h battery. I think this is given in owners handbook. Iwill check tomorrow. I have never understood why the battery capacity was reduced when the CR cars were fielded, unless it had to do with fitting an uprated alternator (16ACR) which may have compensated for the smaller battery. The cynic in me suggests it was a cost cutting measure.

Yours

Paul

All,

I have fitted a Varta following a visit to a local wholesaler, I was looking for a classic black battery, the old chat advised me to fit the blue dynamic E12 74ah it was cheaper and turns very fast on the old starter.

Great battery I have had it about 4 years now and it still performs like new even if its left for a few months. Highly recommended.

Jonlar, did you get a new hip :( hope all is ok again, season is coming :) You are very right it's the battery for the 6. I remember Hallford had them on the shelf years ago, but not anymore. When I contacted 2 of their shops in my vicinity, they said NO and they were even not willing to check if they could order it. Up to now my local autoshop did not have them in stock, but were able to provide them in a day or two. This time even their main storage facility did not store them anymore and it took 2 weeks to have the battery available. Must say it's a rather inexpensive battery, 35 pounds, the previous one lasted for 6 years. I consider this as good as it's not used in a way it should be, to say daily.

Hi Jean, my left big toe joint was removed and fused at the beginning of January (matches the right one now!), 24th March I'm in again to have my right shoulder operated on to remove excess bone, hips will have to wait until I retire! :o

Last week I went out to buy an 072 or 089, being the correct umph, size, polarity etc. However I did not like the price of what I saw so I ended up with a Varta 069, the precise Varta part number being 570 138 057 2082. This is in their Asia range. It is 570Amp cold cranking current, 70 Ah capacity. It's the same size as 072, terminals correct way round and fits without any modification. I hope it lasts - time will tell.

Ray

...It is 570Amp cold cranking current, 70 Ah capacity. It's the same size as 072, terminals correct way round and fits without any modification. I hope it lasts - time will tell.

You should be okay, I ran a 40Ah battery for twelve years in my 6 without any problems.

Have you got standard or uprated alternator?

Hi Jonlar,

I bought the car with a more modern, unkown alternator already on it. With a bit of digging around I found out that it is a Lucas A133, 55 amps, as fitted to the Montego, Maestro and maybe Rover 2300/2600. It was fitted by a previous owner, maybe when the Bosch fuel pump was fitted.

Ray