Hi,

Am thinking of ditching the wire wheels on my TR6. Admittedly these wheels look great when they are clean and new but the ones on my car are starting to show their age and have a few rusty spokes. So......was thinking of going back to bolt on wheels, much easier to clean and keep looking good. The obvious choice for a lot of TR's seem to be the minilites but I want something a bit different. Have seen the 'Revolution' type wheels show in the picture from the Rimmer web site but I haven't been able to find any pictures of a TR6 with them fitted. Has anyone got such a picture...???....or had experience of fitting them...??? It would be good to see what they look like on the car.

Thanks,

Mick.

p77b.jpg

Guy,

spookily our cars even have the number plate mounted the same!

I have a roll bar the same as yours, but chose not to fit it, couldn't convince myself it looked good-yours looks fine in the pic though.

Rob.

Guy

I remember your earlier posts on these wheels. They sure look good on a sapphire blue car. It is not clear from the 'photo but have you managed to fit the red TR6 centres somehow?

I'm currently trying to persuade my other half that we should go with the Revolutions and one of her objections is the union jack centre caps. If we can use the standard TR6 ones that is one hurdle down.

What colour is your interior, it does not look a standard moss/rimmer colour?

I will PM you with my e-mail address and any pics you could e-mail would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Tim

I certainly prefer this type over the minilites . I have obviously seen various threads re the minilites fouling the suspension - is this an issue with these wheels ?

If you did a search for a thread on revolutions you will find the thread when i was looking at them.

I thought i might have to fit spacers etc. However was assured by the supplier that should go straight on, they always say that .

However the wheels did in fact go straight on with no fouling spacers etc required. The only thing about these wheels is that you have to be careful when you fit the bolts, so you dont cross thread them , apart from that i had no problems.

Guy

Hi Lee/Mick

Like the others I didn’t want the ubiquitous Minilites (maybe I saw too many MG’s rolling around on them?) so I chose the 15x7” Revolutions instead. In the three years since I fitted them the following problems have been encountered:

1. Heavy alloy corrosion around polished rim within the first year – No great issue just requires a lot of elbow grease with the polish and fine grit paper every month or so.

2. Fouling of the N/S/F wheel when reversing on full lock – Rectified by grinding 2mm off the bolt through balljoint.

3. Black enamel (powder coating?) now flaking showing alloy corrosion underneath – Not certain how long to expect this to have lasted for?

4. Constant slow puncture on 2 wheels due to poor seal between tyre and corroded inner rim – Just need to find a decent tyre fitter!

I have driven the car through 3 winters so the salt will have added to the corrosion but it is a little annoying when you have to spend a couple of hrs polishing the rims every month

The car look great (Signal Red) when the wheels are clean and shiny and I'd fit the same wheels again given the chance, albeit with a good coating of clear lacquer first.

Darren

1. Heavy alloy corrosion around polished rim within the first year – No great issue just requires a lot of elbow grease with the polish and fine grit paper every month or so.

2. Fouling of the N/S/F wheel when reversing on full lock – Rectified by grinding 2mm off the bolt through balljoint.

3. Black enamel (powder coating?) now flaking showing alloy corrosion underneath – Not certain how long to expect this to have lasted for?

4. Constant slow puncture on 2 wheels due to poor seal between tyre and corroded inner rim – Just need to find a decent tyre fitter!

That's an endorsement? :blink:

My 1st set of Panasports has ~ 70,000 miles on them over ~ 10 years and suffers from none of the above. I've just had them repainted in the nose stripe colour ( TR250 ) but the underlying paint, a different shade of silver, was perfect except where nicked. The rim portion was clear powder-coated from the factory, and was also perfect.

Panasports do look like minilites, although early ones like mine are more exaggerated. They also need some type of center medallion - I've got decorative 2-eared spinners on mine which look fabulous ( pictures to follow eventually, when the car is reassembled ).

Just to make the point that not all alloys give trouble like Darren reports ;)

Just had a look at my 15 x 6 Revolutions and it appears to me that especially around the bright trim that they have be coated with some kind of laquer. I have though applied a coat of good polish to the wheels to help repell dirt etc.

I suppose it has alot to do with how you look after your wheels and what you expect from them, but is certainly worth raising the issue of flaky paint with the supplier for reassurance.

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I'm not sure what your climate is like Tom? But if its mostly summer use at 7k a year, then its a different ball game to using it everyday through 3 British winters. I like Revos they are gaining in popularity certainly in other Triumph clubs they are light, good ventilation for brakes too, when you get to 7J fouling something is more of a possibility.

Of course I like minilites too (own a set) thankfully a more period copy that the overly common and heavy, low quality reps about.

Edited by stephen cooper

Thanks for your replies on this topic, especially Guy who sent me the pictures. I am now convinced about the Revolution Wheels and will be ordering a set very soon for the car. With the black centres I do think they look particularly good with a dark coloured car....might even consider colour coding the centres to the colour of my car, Damson. Interesting point from Darren re corrosion, I think it will pay to put some extra protection on the wheels, even though my use of the car is mainly dry, albeit it's on the road all year round.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what your climate is like Tom? But if its mostly summer use at 7k a year, then its a different ball game to using it everyday through 3 British winters.

Agreed <_<

My wheels have done DUO except when caught out, but year-round even with salt present. I've actually had them since 1990 so I think plenty of time and miles to reveal differences in quality.

I no longer use my TRs for daily drivers; that ended when I left California in 1979. Last year I started paying attention to road salt and now avoid it.

I don't know anyone over here ( California, Arizona, New Mexico excepted! ) who drives any TR older than TR6 in adverse weather / road conditions :unsure:

Agreed <_<

My wheels have done DUO except when caught out, but year-round even with salt present. I've actually had them since 1990 so I think plenty of time and miles to reveal differences in quality.

Tom

Why is it you cant buy panasports for road use in the uk, or am a wrong

As i thought they did not comply with some regulation or other. It was some time ago that i looked into trying to find some.

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,

Can't imagine :unsure:

They're made in Japan ( where they also drive your side of the road! :lol: ). The world's largest Triumph parts supplier TRF has been selling them since the '80s...Price over here is about 125 quid each nowadays.

I've retained a set of original wheels and Rostyle hubcaps for posterity; while I drive the cars they'll never wear them.

Did anyone notice the American Racing alloy set, sans spinners, that sold on ebay for $2125 ? These were an American dealer installed option I believe ( please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think these were fitted at the factory ).