1960 TR-3A Correct Colour for Weather Equipment -

I have a dilemma! I need to have my side screens rebuilt which involves a rather long lead time. So it is critical for me to establish the correct colour for the side screens and hood for a TR-3A with Silverstone grey paint. Bill Piggott's book, "Original Triumph TR", lists black for weather equipment, while the appendix in the TRA judging handbook lists white. Incidentally the reference used by TRA in this handbook is a re-print of a Triumph Register article. I would like to be correct as possible in this restoration, but the more I read about TR's the more I realise that many exceptions were made regarding paint and trim. However, it would be a shame to lose points for something that I can control at this stage of the program.

Please indulge my curiosity. I need to make a decision.

Cheers, Frank :)

Frank - My top and sidecurtains were "TAN" when I bought my TR3A new in 1958. It is also listed as "TAN" on my Heritage Record. When I was doing my restoration from 1987 to 1990, I bought my new top from Roadster Factory and I had a choice of several colours and textures. I chose the "BEIGE" by Robbins because it was the closest to tan and because TRF said they could use the same material and colour to re-cover my side curtains. The top was a standard item made by Robbins in California and the sidecurtains were don by Larry Learn in Indiana, Penn. near TRF. TRF don't forward work to Larry any more but he is still around. As you say, it takes time to get these done properly. I sent my old frames to TRF and when I finally received them - after about a year, I tried them and the fit correctly - because they had come from my car where they had fit properly before.

If the paint colour you choose is an original TR colour - or close to it, you can probably pick and colour for the top, etc, but pick what existed as a TR colour, but make sure it looks great and properly co-ordinated to go with the paint colour.

Will it be finished by June for the TRA National meet in up-state New York ?

Frank - My top and sidecurtains were "TAN" when I bought my TR3A new in 1958. It is also listed as "TAN" on my Heritage Record. When I was doing my restoration from 1987 to 1990, I bought my new top from Roadster Factory and I had a choice of several colours and textures. I chose the "BEIGE" by Robbins because it was the closest to tan and because TRF said they could use the same material and colour to re-cover my side curtains. The top was a standard item made by Robbins in California and the sidecurtains were don by Larry Learn in Indiana, Penn. near TRF. TRF don't forward work to Larry any more but he is still around. As you say, it takes time to get these done properly. I sent my old frames to TRF and when I finally received them - after about a year, I tried them and the fit correctly - because they had come from my car where they had fit properly before.

If the paint colour you choose is an original TR colour - or close to it, you can probably pick and colour for the top, etc, but pick what existed as a TR colour, but make sure it looks great and properly co-ordinated to go with the paint colour.

Will it be finished by June for the TRA National meet in up-state New York ?

Don: Well, yes that is our goal. The rolling chassis has been finished for some time. So, hopefully once this last bit of body shell work is done, it should go together quickly. keeping my fingers crossed and touching wood several time a day! :unsure:

I So it is critical for me to establish the correct colour for the side screens and hood for a TR-3A with Silverstone grey paint. Bill Piggott's book, "Original Triumph TR", lists black for weather equipment, while the appendix in the TRA judging handbook lists white. Incidentally the reference used by TRA in this handbook is a re-print of a Triumph Register article. I would like to be correct as possible in this restoration, but the more I read about TR's the more I realise that many exceptions were made regarding paint and trim. However, it would be a shame to lose points for something that I can control at this stage of the program.

Hi Frank,

As far as I'm aware (and I haven't checked the references in Bill P's book and don't have the TRA reference)

you could specify any available colour of hood and sidescreens (you would probably have had to have them

matching) with any colour of car, so I don't understand why either Bill P or TRA would suggest there was some

limitation on choice.

I don't know what TR Register article TRA used - if it was one from the TR Register magazine 30-odd years ago,

it could be one that I wrote, and that certainly didn't list, or imply, any colour of hood or sidescreens with any

particular colour of car. It was just a list of what colours were available.

There seems to have been a much greater range of colours and shades available for the TR2/3 models, not so

much choice for the 3A, although there were some new trim shades introduced, like targo purple. BUT - I'm sure

such shades never made it to hood and sidescreens.

I reckon your choice is black, white or beige/fawn. If you want to be correct for your car when new, have a trace

done (through BL Heritage) and see what the original specification was. (I'm not sure whether or not that would list

colours of hood/sidescreens, or just what was supplied, ie whether or not a tonneau cover was supplied as well).

Otherwise, choose whatever colour you prefer from the available options. If you go with beige, and want to try to

find the closest/correct shade, post another message and I'll try to suggest some means of finding/achieving the

correct shade.

I can understand to some extent your wish to avoid losing points in a concours, but my feeling would be that your

determination to get what is correct and pleases you should be the over-riding consideration, not what judges

may think. Just tell the judges you've done your research and you're happy that what you have done is correct.

I've had Concours judges ask me why the passenger seat-back of my (early) TR4 hinged forward without any locking

device! At least they bothered to ask - I'm sure they took one look at my ARE Silverstone wheels and just assumed

they were some modern non-original alloy wheels.

Alan R

I have seen many photos of some rather strange (at least to my tastes) TR color combinations. Powder blue/blackberry...signal red/white hardtop/blue interior...black/blue interior...olive yellow/red interior. Most of these cars seemed to be restored to the original specs. I DO know that many dealers here in the states resprayed new TR2's because many thought the factory colrs were pretty strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Excuse me if I have missed a point, but normally the Heritage Certificate from Gaydon, or The Factory Trace (from Bill Piggott) will state exactly what was originally fitted to your car. You can almost always then get a good match to that colour.

The various books do state the options available in years, but yes from timne to time bizarre choices were made by the customer and the Factory built - no doubt at a price!

All the best with your rebuild

John M. Saunders

TR2 - TS14- OHP 242

TR2 VWA 65 ( on road!)