The heater helps demist the screen (if you pray hard)  

Rather than bypass it why not simply turn it OFF at the valve (not the dash knob)

Roger

My heater core failed and I bypassed it for a few years by connecting supply and return hoses near the control valve using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe formed into a 90 degree bend.

I probably could have continued this arrangement forever had I not wanted to use the car more on cold spring days.

My head says there was an option for ‘fresh air’ and no heater on hot climate cars.

It may have been another car.  

Essentially the regular heater assembly was installed with all air tubing but the heater box did not have a matrix in it connected to the water system.   This gave the functionality of fan assisted fresh air into the cabin but not a heated

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I have used the heater and its fan facility in other vehicles as a temporary means of getting the engine temp down in slow traffic conditions on hot days, yes it's uncomfortable but it seemed to work, I'm not sure if the position of the heater in a TR6 would be of help in similar conditions. Just a thought.

22 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Essentially the regular heater assembly was installed with all air tubing but the heater box did not have a matrix in it connected to the water system.   This gave the functionality of fan assisted fresh air into the cabin but not a heated

Is that not the same (functionally) as simply closing the heater valve? That's what I do year-round here in Sydney. But I did bring the car from the UK so it's not an example of a hot-climate spec (if there was a difference).

Cheers,
JC