I looked at an early TR3 today, Commission no TS9736. The certified copy of the factory production record gives the date of build as 9/1/56 and yet the date of first registration as shown on the duplicate of the original log book is given as 9/5/56, could the car maybe have been a dealer demonstrator? The Destination (dealer) on the factory record is Rossleigh Limited. Does that name mean anything to anyone? I note that the original registration  number was issued in Sheffield. 

The duplicate log book gives the engine number as  TS10152 (no mention of the 'E' suffix) but the car has engine number TS66887E, would this be from a later TR3A perhaps? 

Tim

Probably took a while to sell, I can’t see many people buying an open sports car in the middle of the winter 

Definitely a later engine. The dates sound right  my TR3 TS9551 was made late 1955, but 1st registered early 1956.

Bob

Rossleigh Limited had Triumph dealerships throughout Scotland and North East England from the 1930s (or before) all the way through to selling TR6s in the 1970s.

Here's an advert from the Dundee Courier, 26th November 1931. 

Rod

Rossleigh Limited.jpg

Edited by Napoleon
error

I had a 1954 TR2 which was sold by Rossleighs to a school teacher in Stirling and given the Stirling registration GMS 410. While my current TR2 was built in 1954 but not registered until 1956, thought to have been owned by an American serviceman for 2 years and issued with a Q plate before being returned to the dealer and given a standard registration number.

Cheers

Richard