Ferguson Tractors at the South Pole

I have just been reading a book about the Trans-Antarctic expedition in 1956/8. Led by Sir Vivian Fuchs and Sir Edmund Hilary.

Hilary's group took 3 Ferguson TE20 tractors to the south pole, from Scott Base on the Ross Sea, setting off in Nov 57 arriving on 4th Jan 1958.  These were TE20 Fergusons, modified with rubber and steel tracks fitted over the wheels.   My little bit of research shows that TE20s had Standard engines and/or were built by Standard-Triumph.  So my Triumph engine is good enough for polar exploration.

I wonder if they are still there?

Dave

====

The Americans might know if the tractors are still at the pole. BAS does not have a base there.

Many years ago, Maddy and I had a fascinating tour of the Coldridge Collection from Michael Thorne, the man who had created the Collectiom.

In Chapter 14 of Michael's "Ferguson TE20 in Detail", there's a description of the special Fergies built for the expedition to the South Pole.

We don't believe we saw one of those specials in the Collection, which it seems is now closed - presumably whilst its future is decided.

Michael died last year - a true enthusiast, much missed by the Fergie fraternity.

It was Standard (not Standard Triumph) which set up production of the little grey Fergie - a revolutionary tractor at the time.  The appliance of science rather than brawn - those small machines could achieve what the larger and heavier tractors frequently could not!

Graham Robson, in Chapter 8 of  his "The Book of the Standard Motor Company",  describes the story of the Ferguson/Standard relationship.

Ian Cornish

Interesting topic. I learned to drive on a grey Ferguson, when aged ten.

Wikipedia mentions that the Antarctic Expedition took seven TE20s, four petrol and three diesel:

A fleet of seven Ferguson TE-20s was used on the 1955–58 Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition which was led by Edmund Hillary. Four petrol-engined and three diesel models were used. Some were supplied as half-tracks, with steerable front skis, whilst others of the New Zealand team were fitted with an extra wheel on each side and full caterpillar tracks, developed by the expedition in the Antarctic. In both cases, the track kits were easily removable and in light conditions the tractors were used on standard wheels and tyres. A canvas cabin was added for windproofing. Other than this, the tractors were totally standard – two were even fitted with a standard farmyard hydraulic front-loader for loading and unloading supplies. Reports were made at regular intervals to the Ferguson company and these show the tractors to have been reliable and effective – being capable of climbing a 1-in-7 slope of "hard polished ice where a man cannot walk without crampons", as well as operating in conditions of −10 degrees Fahrenheit. Under Hillary these tractors were driven to the South Pole, becoming the first vehicles to be driven to the pole, and the first overland journey to the pole since Captain Scott. The tractors were left at the pole for the use of American researchers.[6] One of the tractors used by Hillary's party was later repatriated to New Zealand and is on display along with other British Trans-Antarctic Expedition vehicles in the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Rod

Tractors_in_Antarctica_(1957).JPG

On 4/10/2024 at 6:50 PM, ianc said:

Many years ago, Maddy and I had a fascinating tour of the Coldridge Collection from Michael Thorne, the man who had created the Collectiom.

In Chapter 14 of Michael's "Ferguson TE20 in Detail", there's a description of the special Fergies built for the expedition to the South Pole.

We don't believe we saw one of those specials in the Collection, which it seems is now closed - presumably whilst its future is decided.

Michael died last year - a true enthusiast, much missed by the Fergie fraternity.

It was Standard (not Standard Triumph) which set up production of the little grey Fergie - a revolutionary tractor at the time.  The appliance of science rather than brawn - those small machines could achieve what the larger and heavier tractors frequently could not!

Graham Robson, in Chapter 8 of  his "The Book of the Standard Motor Company",  describes the story of the Ferguson/Standard relationship.

Ian Cornish

I hadn’t realised Michael had passed away. I had the absolute pleasure of a personal guided tour of his collection a few years ago, staggering and beautifully presented.

Iain