28% A types are not standard in any Triumph models  as far as I am aware, but are sourced from other models of the period like Jags, Jensens, Rovers etc .

Quite a few Stag based TR boxes have had this upgrade done, and indeed my TR4 has just this set up.

John - do you mean just the OD unit or a gearbox and OD unit combined - typically when rebuilt, I would expect a Stag/TR OD unit to be worth a premium of around £300 over standard TR OD unit and maybe £100-150 for the 28% upgrade to the OD unit - these are newly rebuilt prices. Once used, then values fall quite a lot compared to newly rebuilt, but if in excellent condition, I would think £1200- 1500

I understand the 28% gear sets are not very common and I don't think they are being remanufactured, but I stand to be corrected, so they were getting quite difficult to track down

Hope this helps 

Cheers Rich C-R

Edited by rcreweread
17 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Just curious folks, 

what would you say was a fair price for a 28% Stag A type working  overdrive?

John,

Is it a complete box/o/drive combo or just the overdrive unit? Working but unknown otherwise? Are you selling it or buying it?

Stuart.

Not directly comparable, but could be a benchmark. I bought a Dolomite box with J-type for £450 about 2 years ago, and sold a GT6  box with D-type overdrive in good order for £400 last year. 

Nigel

Thanks guys

it is a 28% A type, tested and guaranteed working no gearbox.

Had it years and I’m trying this year to have something of a bits rationisation exercise.

John