clutch slave cylinder pipe /hole in gearbox

522212528_clutchslavecylinderpipe.thumb.JPEG.2b018b19c392115268e994611d843255.JPEG

Whilst under the car cleaning the bottom of the block after removing the sump I noticed the flexible pipe connecting the master to the slave cylinder it just looked like a push fit, I thought that doesn't look very secure, a few hours later my thoughts were proved to be right whilst trying to undo a over tight oil filter the socket slipped and pulled the pipe of the connector to the slave cylinder, lucky I still had a drip tray under the car from the sump removal, the clutch master cylinder contents quickly emptied themselves into the drip tray. 

My question being is this a standard fitment I have no intention of just trying to push it back on and will replace with a proper braided hose. Just wondered that's all.

Also I noticed a hole in the bottom of the gearbox obviously drilled not just broken. I presume its to tighten or replace  the taper shaft to clutch shaft pin. However I don't particularly want to leave it exposed to the elements with all the rain we have had and some country roads now being flooded I wondered if anybody had come up with a solution to just bung this up. Bung being the operative word stupidly I did not measure it but it looks approx 1 1/2" dia in old money.. Other people must have come up with this dodge in the past.580727729_holeingearbox.thumb.JPEG.44a0a6b2d5dcdd4b0ea507b441accd51.JPEG

Phil.

No idea why that hole would be there, the countershaft is along the bottom of the box, & there is nothing on that you would need to get to. it needs to be "bunged" up properly to prevent the oil from draining out.

& No the clutch cylinder pipe should not simply pull off !

Bob

I’ve seen that bell housing bore hole before on a Stag.   It was for a grease gun end to go through to grease the clutch release bearing carrier.

The clutch pipe should be a proper flexy pipe, same as a brake flexy pipe. It is a wonder that didn`t blow off the first time you used the clutch. It looks like someone has just cobbled it together with plain pipe and rubber hose so you may not have the correct fitting on the other end of the rubber pipe either.

If the hole only goes in to the bell housing for what ever reason, then a suitably sized rubber grommet should suffice.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Additional thoughts
9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I’ve seen that bell housing bore hole before on a Stag.   It was for a grease gun end to go through to grease the clutch release bearing carrier.

Ah, I see it is the bell housing side  !  that makes more sense now !  Doh.jpg.f107ce900a3e2687e3694c8c6b0b92e7.jpg

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Hi Phil,

it looks like the PO has had a great time inventing.

The clutch pipe should be a braided flexible pipe  item #23  HERE

Was the PO particularly small. Could he have walked through the hole to do maintenance :P  perhaps not.

There will be a blind grommet somewhere to fit that.

Roger

I was thinking more a bung than a grommet the bell housing is reasonably thick there I dont think a grommet would stay in place. so something like a rubber foot on a stool, but were it sits inside the tube not on the outside. 

Phil.

6 minutes ago, phil Dean said:

I was thinking more a bung than a grommet the bell housing is reasonably thick there I dont think a grommet would stay in place. so something like a rubber foot on a stool, but were it sits inside the tube not on the outside. 

Phil.

There is a rubber plug to go in the hole of a brake drum that the adjustment of the brakes is done through using a screwdriver.  Part no.  2A7228   It might fit.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/plug-brake-drum-round-rubber-2a7228.html?assoc=506488

IMG_2669.jpeg

25 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Phil,

it looks like the PO has had a great time inventing.

The clutch pipe should be a braided flexible pipe  item #23  HERE

Was the PO particularly small. Could he have walked through the hole to do maintenance :P  perhaps not.

There will be a blind grommet somewhere to fit that.

Roger

I think ….The original clutch flex for TR4A was a bit of plastic tube with a steel fitting at each end, like the really moderns have (5~250~6)

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I think ….The original clutch flex for TR4A was a bit of plastic tube with a steel fitting at each end, like the really moderns have (5~250~6)

Moss do show an alternative braided hose, part no TT3141, that does look a lot like Phil`s set up, so perhaps it was one of these that has given way.

Ralph

yes I saw that on Moss website it will be replaced with a stainless  braided one when it turns up from TRGB not cheap but it is in a semi vulnerable position. 

The rubber bung is a not quite round 25.7 mm hole I have identified a few options on flea bay which will do but I might have to slightly modify because its up against the strengthening web on the gearbox

Phil.