10 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

Are header rails different?

Several different types depending on model and whether its a soft top or Surrey equipped car.

Stuart.

46 minutes ago, stuart said:

Several different types depending on model and whether its a soft top or Surrey equipped car.

Stuart.

Hello Stuart, I have a surrey top now, and have removed the steel roof having bought a used "H" Frame and soft  top from Craig at bits.

the soft top front lip, that should go under the header rail, doesn't want to play, there seems not enough room for it to tuck under?

1 hour ago, pfenlon said:

Hello Stuart, I have a surrey top now, and have removed the steel roof having bought a used "H" Frame and soft  top from Craig at bits.

the soft top front lip, that should go under the header rail, doesn't want to play, there seems not enough room for it to tuck under?

See Pic,

20240406_191514.jpg

15 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Different header bar plate I'm afraid Peter.

The TR4 (ONLY) has the Surrey top (the soft foldable centre section) with an insewn 3 piece thin steel tab in the material along the front edge. This pushes under the leading edge of the header bar plate, if there's space.

The TR4a has the soft top over centre buckles with the location piece to fix to on the rear of the top windscreen frame, and the TR250-TR6 has the header plate securing ...using "plunge" cam handles that go into the header bar (same as on the Stag).

The TR4a and the TR5/6 versions are a lot more "secure," some of the TR4 with new header rail plates don't have adequate space along the front edge for the Surrey top material with it's inbuilt steel shim plates to fold around and be pushed under. This normally comes to light when you turn onto a motorway and get the speed up to 70mph, and then with a bang the front edge becomes disconnected and pulls out and is whipped over the cockpit area, luckily the Surrey rear bar fixed onto the rear backlight remains fixed, and the Surrey material lands onto the boot, hence the enthusiasm to convert the TR4 to a 4a or TR5/6 header bar arrangement. (used header bar required then fit the Surrey material around the header bar and glue in place.)

It's been covered before on the forum, try searching on Google using TR Register Forum, Surrey Header bar or somesuch description will find it. 

Mick Richards

PS: I see you've posted a photo (as I've typed) which shows your TR250 header bar and the holes for the cam locks. If you want to keep that you'll need a Surrey top material with extra material at the front. Also a TR5/250/6 front hood header bar (I got mine by buying a "manky" TR6 soft top frame for a £Tenner and cut the header bar off it) so you can use it to wrap and glue the Surrey top material around it.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
16 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Thanks Mick,

back to TR Bitz on monday.

best Pete

See if Craig has a good s/hand Surrey capping Pete thats what I got for my 250 and its a lot better fit for the front of the Surrey.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, pfenlon said:

See Pic,

20240406_191514.jpg

Thats a standard TR5/6 type capping for a convertible car.

Stuart.

The capping strips were covered in topic "Surrey top fixing hooks" Nov 16th 2018. I attached photos of the different capping strips in one of my replies.

Sorry I can't see how to link directly to the topic from here

Keith

Pete, I have a spare TR5/6 front header bar if you want to go down that route and some spare locking handles

Rgds

David