Hello

Just plumbing in my new T7 heater,  and renewed the bulkhead pipe adaptors.  Here are the pictures of the old ones.  The input adaptor was full of pink gunk like turkish delight. Nothing has been down that tube for years.   

DaveDSC_1305.thumb.JPG.fb56b27202d150168be9693ed7439e90.JPG

DSC_1306.JPG

Consider swaging a flare on the plain end of your new bulkhead fittings to give a better chance of the hose sealing.  All this waffle about coating the adaptor with gasket sealant is a sticking plaster for pipes that are too small for the hoses due to metrication.

From another post…..

The fitting I had to swage was stainless.   The clamp part of the tool I have fitted snuggly and then  I formed a simple flare to the tube to increase its final diameter.

Be sure to remove any nicks or burrs from the tube end that could cut the hose.

I have just done a dummy test on my old mild steel bulkhead fitting to flare the tube ends in the same way as I did to the stainless one I have recently fitted.

i used the brake pipe tool clamp to hold the 1/2” pipe then swaged the pipe end with a conical punch ( the one I use for push rod tubes on wet liner egines)

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

Thanks Pete

I hadn't considered that.    I haven't had a good swage for ages,   if ever.  I'll see what happens when eventually my car runs.  Probably next year.  

Dave.

1 hour ago, dpb said:

Thanks Pete

I hadn't considered that.    I haven't had a good swage for ages,   if ever.  I'll see what happens when eventually my car runs.  Probably next year.  

Dave.

You’ll speak in tongues if the hose comes off and dumps hot coolant everywhere.

I recall in the early 1960s the heater hose blowing on the cabin side of my TR2, directly above my feet - not to be recommended!

Peter's advice - as ever - extremely helpful.

Ian Cornish