Crikey Harry, have you worked out where all the bits go yet?

Are you planning to build the body tub up on your new shiny rolling chassis?

Dave..  

On 4/29/2024 at 10:54 AM, dave bailey said:

Crikey Harry, have you worked out where all the bits go yet?

Are you planning to build the body tub up on your new shiny rolling chassis?

Dave..  

Thank you guys,

I have done one or two. This is my TR5 which I completely rebuilt  twenty years ago.

Just love the discipline of the build. Self tap together fully built up and walk around and around adjust here and there till satisfied then tack a few welds in to hold together.

Remove all outer panels and start welding. All this why carefully looking at what you are doing. Okay not as simple as that but very satisfying as you are finding out Dave,

Good luck.I will be in the modified class that Dan and I are running in Malvern under leadership of Graham Andrews. See you there!

101-0157_IMG.jpeg

20210614_141722_resized.jpg

Edited by harrytr5
spelling

Harry. How useful have you found the initial step of using self tappers to hold panels together? I have heard of other builders using this technique, but I must admit that I was planning on very carefully clamping everything and then tack welding- trying all the outer panels for gap fit then welding. (nice looking 5 by the way)

Dave.

11 hours ago, dave bailey said:

Harry. How useful have you found the initial step of using self tappers to hold panels together? I have heard of other builders using this technique, but I must admit that I was planning on very carefully clamping everything and then tack welding- trying all the outer panels for gap fit then welding. (nice looking 5 by the way)

Dave.

Very useful for me Dave and fixings do not protrude in the way. I now have a spot welder which when repaired  properly from an ex Alpha Romeo racing champion (in former life) works better than left the factory. He advertises on Ebay. I plug welded mine but the spot welder every time now and very quick with no clean off afterwards.

Take it steady and you will get there. Stuart is a wonderful source although I was not aware of him when doing mine.

Regards Harry

Harry.

Thanks, I must see if I can find a spot welder. Although without the full range of extension electrodes, it's a bit difficult to use sometimes.

Dave.

Posted (edited)

Drew.

I actually have a set of the Cleko fasteners, the only problem I have found is that they don't hold the panels together particularly firmly.

Dave. 

Edited by dave bailey
22 minutes ago, dave bailey said:

Drew.

I actually have a set of the Cleko fasteners, the only problem I have found is that they don't hold the panels together particularly firmly.

Dave. 

They dont especially if theres a bit of "Spring" in the panel. I prefer to use lots of mole grips and or self tappers and to my mind a spot welder is the only way to rebuild these shells properly unless you really cant get access so need to plug weld. I have a multitude of arms for my two spot welders that will cope with pretty much any situation. I also seam weld the bottoms of "A&B" posts for additional strength. (Dont buy new electronic controlled ones as theyre not suited to the proper steel that we are working with as theyre for the new high carbon stuff, buy old Autospot/Sureweld/Spotmatic/Sealey ones as they often come with several types of arms. There are several on Ebay at the moment. Keep the tips sharpened to a small point for the most efficient welds

Stuart.

Marks TR5 265.jpg

45 minutes ago, dave bailey said:

Thanks Stuart. You can't have too many Molegrips I say!

Dave.

Yep, the above picture was only using about half of my stock of them!

Stuart.

19 minutes ago, stuart said:

Yep, the above picture was only using about half of my stock of them!

Stuart.

i know where to come then always losing mine hahahaha

David