I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension on my '4, and have the Spax adjustable shocks which are about 30 years old.

They "seem" ok on the bench - no graunching, strong resistance, smooth action. Clean too, no leaks. I did note that the "pulling" resistance is a bit more than the pushing. Is this normal?

Anyhow due to their age I'm thinking of replacing them, and Rimmers have a sale. But... cheapest adjustable is Gaz at £145 a pair, whereas the standard shocks are £37 a pair. That's quite a price difference.

I don't really need adjustable shocks, so should I put the ancient ones back on, buy the standard ones, or dig deep (and I have been Spending on the car recently) and get the good ones? Or ...?

Thanks Adrian

3 hours ago, adriantr4 said:

I did note that the "pulling" resistance is a bit more than the pushing. Is this normal?

Thanks Adrian

Yes, that is normal, you want the suspension to respond to a bump by moving up quickly, but to avoid oscillation the damper only allows the suspension to drop more slowly.

Bob

4 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Yes, that is normal, you want the suspension to respond to a bump by moving up quickly, but to avoid oscillation the damper only allows the suspension to drop more slowly.

Bob

Which is why you do not have dampers that are very firm.   You can end up with ‘jack down’ where the suspension is compressed but the spring is not strong enough to extend against a very firm damper.

15 hours ago, adriantr4 said:

I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension on my '4, and have the Spax adjustable shocks which are about 30 years old.

They "seem" ok on the bench - no graunching, strong resistance, smooth action. Clean too, no leaks. I did note that the "pulling" resistance is a bit more than the pushing. Is this normal?

Anyhow due to their age I'm thinking of replacing them, and Rimmers have a sale. But... cheapest adjustable is Gaz at £145 a pair, whereas the standard shocks are £37 a pair. That's quite a price difference.

I don't really need adjustable shocks, so should I put the ancient ones back on, buy the standard ones, or dig deep (and I have been Spending on the car recently) and get the good ones? Or ...?

Thanks Adrian

TBH I would replace the rubbers and put them back and drive on.

Stuart.

Thanks for the advice. I'll will put the old ones back with new rubber, and to Pete: they seem ok, when on the car and the wing bounced it returned to normal height, behaving as expected.

Regards Adrian