TR4 Armstrong Lever Arm Dampers

Te TR4 Workshop manual is not very specific about how to check the fluid level in the damper. Presumably with the car jacked. and the axles hanging fully down you just remove the filler plug and top up to top of plug hole ?

Grateful if somebody could outline the fluid level check procedure and confirm the task can be performed with damper installed on the car ?

The Armstrong suspension fluid that is referred to - is this still obtainable , what is the spec and are there equivalent products that can be used.?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Edited by NC-TR4
Posted (edited)

MKTR - Thanks for response and input , I did see that discussion thread, does not really answer my questions unfortunately. Think they must be original Armstrong type as what looks like a filler plug near the top of the body lid cover plate is evident.

I believe the Armstrong Lever Arm fluid is 10 W. Some people are saying 10 W fluid is not quite viscous enough and you could be better to go for 30 W motorbike fork oil.?

Still not sure if you can check the fill level of the damper whilst it is installed on the car, the Triumph workshop manual just mentions checking it at the 12000 mile service interval by removal of this plug and top up. It does not say much else. Some people talk of leaving a slight air gap for the fluid level, to allow for expansion in heat, no mention of air gap in Triumph manual, maybe this is hot countries only. ?

Albeit replacement is covered in section 4-112 of the Workshop Manual - Fig 21, there is very little detail about fluid types etc.

Maybe i just over thinking the whole thing and just top up to filler plug level as the Triumph workshop manual describes, with car in the jacked up position and road wheel off. ?

Edited by NC-TR4
1 hour ago, NC-TR4 said:

just top up to filler plug level as the Triumph workshop manual describes

Yes unless you want to change the lot - in which case do it off the car because you have to exercise the lever arm to get rid of air. 

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/tools-consumables/consumables/lubricants/other-lubricants/dynolite-shock-absorber-oil-1-litre-ggl832110.html

1 hour ago, NC-TR4 said:

MKTR - Thanks for response and input , I did see that discussion thread, does not really answer my questions unfortunately. Think they must be original Armstrong type as what looks like a filler plug near the top of the body lid cover plate is evident.

I believe the Armstrong Lever Arm fluid is 10 W. Some people are saying 10 W fluid is not quite viscous enough and you could be better to go for 30 W motorbike fork oil.?

Still not sure if you can check the fill level of the damper whilst it is installed on the car, the Triumph workshop manual just mentions checking it at the 12000 mile service interval by removal of this plug and top up. It does not say much else. Some people talk of leaving a slight air gap for the fluid level, to allow for expansion in heat, no mention of air gap in Triumph manual, maybe this is hot countries only. ?

Albeit replacement is covered in section 4-112 of the Workshop Manual - Fig 21, there is very little detail about fluid types etc.

Maybe i just over thinking the whole thing and just top up to filler plug level as the Triumph workshop manual describes, with car in the jacked up position and road wheel off. ?

If the shocks are oily externally they are leaking and need repairing.    This is probably a failure on MOT tests.   To get you home you can just top them up but they will still need repairing.

Yes topping up is done on the car.   Thoroughly clean the shocker of all dirt, mud and other road debris before attempting to remove the filler plug.   Turn the plug half a turn to undo and clean again before removing the plug fully.   No dirt must get in the shock absorber.    Use a clean syringe or appropriate spout to top up to level.   Refit plug.