Why Can't Longstanding members access the forum

Google has started re-indexing the forum as a few posts now come up in a search. This will improve over the coming days.

Please be vigilant for spam attacks. They could return.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:48 AM, Mick Forey said:

Hi all,

This has now been fixed. Please logout and then have a look at the forum: the technical forum is now visible again to the public. Google will now re-index the technical forum so that it shows up again on searches. This will take a bit of time.

Thanks for your patience,

Mick

Mick

Can you tell us, or find out and report back to the forum;

- just what was being done

- why no one came onto the forum and warned the users of the potential problems

Fore warned is fore armed

If the forum was told, up front, to; 'Expect issues because . . .', this thread wouldn't exist

Communication is all that is needed.

Why is communication so difficult for the club?

So many issues, niggles and 'moaning' threads would never exist, if only there was some communication.

We have a "Group Leader" here . . . . John M

How about the people running the club and trying to improve the way the TRR web system operates, using John as a conduit?

Always assuming of course, that John agrees to do it

John,

It is, as ever, never that simple. There were a whole raft of changes implemented to try to stop the spam attacks earlier this year. Most were not visible to users. However, the combination of two different actions inadvertently stopped non-logged in users seeing the forum. This went undetected by everyone for some time as all the regulars are logged in. It was only when, some time later, Google removed all the indexing, that this issue was discovered and highlighted on the forum. That was on the Saturday. Duncan, who is now our IT guru, investigated and it took two separate actions to resolve the issue by the following Friday. Duncan had asked for guidance from me before making the changes: I felt that giving non-members access to the forum was more important that reducing spam, I hope you agree.

WARNING: spam attacks might return!

The website/forum software needs to be updated to improve security. That will be part of the changes that will come with the new suite of IT later this year. No implementation work has started yet, we are still in the details planning/requirements stage. For example: new requirements came out of the GL meeting on Sunday.

Can I ask that if and when you see a problem like this, please let John Morrison and the moderating team know by pm or email, not just posting. I monitor the forum regularly but not daily. I can miss an issue quite easily. If they cannot fix it, then they can escalate the issue to Duncan or myself.

Thanks, Mick

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

John,

It is, as ever, never that simple. There were a whole raft of changes implemented to try to stop the spam attacks earlier this year. Most were not visible to users. However, the combination of two different actions inadvertently stopped non-logged in users seeing the forum. This went undetected by everyone for some time as all the regulars are logged in. It was only when, some time later, Google removed all the indexing, that this issue was discovered and highlighted on the forum. That was on the Saturday. Duncan, who is now our IT guru, investigated and it took two separate actions to resolve the issue by the following Friday. Duncan had asked for guidance from me before making the changes: I felt that giving non-members access to the forum was more important that reducing spam, I hope you agree.

WARNING: spam attacks might return!

The website/forum software needs to be updated to improve security. That will be part of the changes that will come with the new suite of IT later this year. No implementation work has started yet, we are still in the details planning/requirements stage. For example: new requirements came out of the GL meeting on Sunday.

Can I ask that if and when you see a problem like this, please let John Morrison and the moderating team know by pm or email, not just posting. I monitor the forum regularly but not daily. I can miss an issue quite easily. If they cannot fix it, then they can escalate the issue to Duncan or myself.

Thanks, Mick

Mick

That's great, thanks for the clarification.

Would it have been difficult to post a note on the forum to that effect, as soon as it was realised there was an issue?

e.g.

Forumites; We detected today that a combination of two different actions has inadvertently stopped non-logged in users seeing the forum.

We are working on it and will keep users informed

Followed with similar, short notes, keeping the forum in the loop.

Even; "Sorry, still working on it, no change", is still good communication.

Would that have been so difficult?

If it is a problem, let me know and I'll do it, I'll happily update the forum users daily. 

Not unreasonable if Duncan and I were full time employees. However, we are not. Duncan was in bed all week feeling awful whilst I was preparing for the AMM amongst many others things. I thought 6 days from discovery to fix was a good response. Duncan had two goes at fixing it as the first 'fix' only solved part of the issue. Testing revealed more work was required, more time and more testing until we were happy that it was fixed.

I don't think we can promise live updates but I understand the point you are making. I will try to keep the forum updated in issue at hand. However, if John M. has the time then it might be more effective to use him as the primary point if contact as the mods can fix many things and escalate those that they can't.

Mick

Mick

Thanks again

If for any reason John M is unavailable, I said at last years AGM that I was willing to help

The offer stands

Thanks John, Mick and all.

Been distracted by doing a gearbox swop on a fellow group members car, should have been a simple non -overdrive to overdrive swop, 

but it ain't been!

John.