Matter - a conundrum

Hi Folks,

here is one for the budding 'Brian Cox's' Out there.

Have you ever considered the similarity of the planetary systems (ours and other) with the supposed construction of an atom.

You have the Nucleus with all its bits (the Sun)  and the electrons (planets) whizzing around.

They say that there is a lot of empty space between the Nucleus and the electrons - BUT, is there.

Could this be where all the unaccounted Dark Matter is lurking.  !!!

Answers on the back of a postcard.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

here is one for the budding 'Brian Cox's' Out there.

Have you ever considered the similarity of the planetary systems (ours and other) with the supposed construction of an atom.

You have the Nucleus with all its bits (the Sun)  and the electrons (planets) whizzing around.

They say that there is a lot of empty space between the Nucleus and the electrons - BUT, is there.

Could this be where all the unaccounted Dark Matter is lurking.  !!!

Answers on the back of a postcard.

Roger

I remember when, as a kid, I first learned about atoms and did just what you suggest, Roger: compared the solar system to an atom. I thought "what if this whole solar system is just an atom in a molecule of some huge thing in a world a bit like ours but, you know, MASSIVE?". 

To be honest, it still wouldn't surprise me. 

Ah well, off to buy dinner for the family...

Happy Sunday, all. 

Tim

Hi Tim,

we are definitely on the same wave length

As for questioning the existence of Dark Matter I think questioning something that is questionable could give you a head ache

Roger 

Gravity holds the soalr system together, but is waaay too weak to explain the orbits of particles in the atom. Indeed at the particle level - the quantum world - gravity cannot be found to play any role. 

Dark matter is highly likely to be fictional. Its existence was predicted because stars in the outer arms in spiral galaxies were moving far too fast to be held in orbit by the gravitational attraction of the inner stars. But big, expensive expermients to find it have all failed. Some theoretical physicists have been proposing Modified Newtonian Dynamics ( MOND) to explain the stars' motion without DM. My interest in the topic is because there is excellent observational evidence that our familiar gravity can be locally abolished. This is seen in the phenomenon of human levitation displayed by catholic clerics, physical mediums, UFO abductees, poltergeists and other 'experiencers'.  These observations call into question phsicists' assumption that Newton's G is a universal constant. I have been unable to find out why G is given such lauded status. We read here that G relies upon no deeper physics, it has to be measured and 'put in by hand'. https://www.mdpi.com/2218-1997//4548/9          We see that G has the units of m3·kg−1·s−2.   There's the clue to G being variable, it relies upon 'seconds' squared. And 'time' is the least understood parameter of nature.  The 'when you have 90 minutes' thread has many examples where gravity is defied by UFOs and where 'time' is highly anomalous. My expectation is that , eventually, Newton's G will have to be re-evaluated to embrace time anomalies , but I'm not expecting Brian Cox to hand in the towel, yet. I'm working on it !  My expectation is that 'time' is different for stars across a galaxy, so G is different: MONG Modified Newton's G !!

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
21 hours ago, RogerH said:

I remember seeing a Marvel comic in the 60s, in which the main character had invented a super-powered microscope that allowed him to see that there were cities on the surface of some electrons, so he invented a shrinking ray that would make him small enough to visit those cities. In one image, as he was shrinking, he said to himself "There's an atom under the microscope over there... must get to it before I finish shrinking..."

I didn't bother reading the rest of the story.

Pete