One for the bodywork experts..

A couple actually. Since fitting my spoiler, I’ve discovered that the lower front part of the wings, where they butt up to the lower front valance, are not perfectly level with the valance, so creating a 3mm gap in height. It looks like the previous owner did this on purpose, or it was built into the wing shape (Heritage), as it’s the same on both sides.

Can the bolts that bolt the wing to the valance be loosened and the wing pulled down slightly to have a flush fit and reduce the spoiler gaps ?

Also, my boot lid gaps are consistent all the way round, however, the trailing edge of the boot lid leaves a lot to be desired where it meets the wings. How much of a world of pain is it to get these a bit more consistent ?

I enjoy spannering, but bodywork is a dark art to me, as the potential for muchas cockup if you don’t know what you’re doing, is greatly enhanced.

087F4833-CAB7-44E5-B0DF-DCF67D805FA6.jpeg

8BE4E9B5-AEB2-4EA4-95D5-EE431E5BCEAF.jpeg

B60305D8-8661-4FCB-89A9-51298C599B40.jpeg

ABDBFE1A-37E4-4849-BDDF-42C3EE83496B.jpeg

Edited by Jonny TR6

My boot lid is very much the same Jonny. It would be a case of moving the rear wings and doors on both sides to try and equal the the gaps while getting the boot lid level at the rear. 

The front wings again can be moved to a certain degree, it's a case of will it be enough to do what you're after, only trying will find out. 

Gareth

Thanks Gareth - thinking of leaving the boot lid alone for now and maybe just sort the front wings.

Do you know off the top of your head whether there’s sufficient bend in the very front lower section of each wing to bring the level ? Need about 3mm, but don’t want to remove seam filler etc if that’s how they’re supposed to be.

Stuart - if you fancy moving 230 miles or so I’ll pop it in to you to sort.

3 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

A couple actually. Since fitting my spoiler, I’ve discovered that the lower front part of the wings, where they butt up to the lower front valance, are not perfectly level with the valance, so creating a 3mm gap in height. It looks like the previous owner did this on purpose, or it was built into the wing shape (Heritage), as it’s the same on both sides.

Can the bolts that bolt the wing to the valance be loosened and the wing pulled down slightly to have a flush fit and reduce the spoiler gaps ?

Also, my boot lid gaps are consistent all the way round, however, the trailing edge of the boot lid leaves a lot to be desired where it meets the wings. How much of a world of pain is it to get these a bit more consistent ?

I enjoy spannering, but bodywork is a dark art to me, as the potential for muchas cockup if you don’t know what you’re doing, is greatly enhanced.

087F4833-CAB7-44E5-B0DF-DCF67D805FA6.jpeg

8BE4E9B5-AEB2-4EA4-95D5-EE431E5BCEAF.jpeg

B60305D8-8661-4FCB-89A9-51298C599B40.jpeg

ABDBFE1A-37E4-4849-BDDF-42C3EE83496B.jpeg

Sadly its not quite as simple as that because at the front wing for example you wont be able to move the wing down as its sat on the top of the inner wing flange. You maybe able to gain a bit by bending the front panel lower edge up a little with the bottom of the wing unbolted, that may or may not work. The bootlid is obviously slightly over to the right hand side so you might equal the gap up side to side but it does look as if its parallel at the front to the deck so your going to struggle to get the tail ends to match with the wings unless you have very odd door gaps in which case you might be able to juggle the wings backwards or forwards. Its always difficult to alter gaps on a built car as moving one alters the other, I always get the gaps even when the body is in build and then the gaps can be sorted out easily with a bit of lead or some elongation of mounting holes.

Whats the gaps at the rear of your doors like?

Stuuart

Thinking about it a bit more. The headlamp bowl part of the wing is also quite strong but it maybe possible if you unbolt the strap that goes to the back of the bonnet mounting re-enforcement plate as well as the three lower mounting bolts and if theres enough clearance between the bowl area and the front panel top return where the grille goes to just lever all the lower part of the wing down a gnats, it will be a two man job probably as you need to lever it down a bit and tighten one or either of the lower three bolts up at the same time.

Stuart

Door gaps are pretty even on both sides, CTM chassis, so no canyons at the top.

Might have to suffer in silence, but good point on trying to get the lower valance to move towards the wings rather than vice versa.

Re the spoiler....hard to tell from your pics, but I would be modifying the spoiler rather than the body.

Re the boot lid....if the door/wing gaps are good then I would modify the back edge of the boot lid to suit the existing wings....cut and shut method...you would have to repaint the boot lid though.

17 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Re the boot lid....if the door/wing gaps are good then I would modify the back edge of the boot lid to suit the existing wings....cut and shut method...you would have to repaint the boot lid though.

It would need the wing building up on the left side and then the boot lid edge at the right hand end (The boot lid edge being the hardest due to the need to add material right across to maintain the straight edge.

Stuart.

Yes, the LHS boot lid to wing gap is wider than the RHS, but shifting the lid slightly over to the RHS can make the gaps even.

[If the gaps are deemed to be unacceptable, then I would make the boot lid fit the wings].

Bottom line...not ideal, but could be a satisfactory outcome with the least amount of work, as only one panel is "attacked"