Converting to 3 degree castor

Although I have a set of tr4 upper wishbones ready for this conversion, I have held off doing the job because, to be quite honest, I don`t know if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. I understand it improves self centering of the steering. While this may be desirable on a car with a steering box, my rack conversion gives light steering anyway and I cannot say it presents any problems. I can see  future work on the suspension would be easier because of the removable bolt through the bottom trunnion,  but does the conversion offer other benefits I am not aware of?

Ralph

15 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Although I have a set of tr4 upper wishbones ready for this conversion, I have held off doing the job because, to be quite honest, I don`t know if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. I understand it improves self centering of the steering. While this may be desirable on a car with a steering box, my rack conversion gives light steering anyway and I cannot say it presents any problems. I can see  future work on the suspension would be easier because of the removable bolt through the bottom trunnion,  but does the conversion offer other benefits I am not aware of?

Ralph

If you are happy with what you have don’t mess.

The lower trunion you would need to fit with those top wishbones and ball joint comes from the later TR4 and looks just like your existing ones except the installed trunion cross pin to vertical post thread is cut 3 degrees off perpendicular.   The removable bolt set up is from moderns, as in 4A-6.  That set up is not a simple direct fit to the early chassis.

14 hours ago, Lebro said:

Also the upper wishbones need to be from a late TR4, & are the same as fitted to 4A,5, & 6's

I think they are the ones I got. They take an upper ball joint held with two bolts, similar to a Herald or Spitfire ?

Ralph

Yes, also there should be a number of spacers to fit between the ball joint and wishbones, the number each side is adjusted to make sure everything is in alignment.

Bob

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

Yes, also there should be a number of spacers to fit between the ball joint and wishbones, the number each side is adjusted to make sure everything is in alignment.

Bob

Not original, those shims are certainly used on Jaguars but not standard on a TR. see item 22 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr2-4-1953-65.html

I have seen them used where a non standard top ball joint has been used though.

Stuart.

Spacers are used(and suppled with) Revington’s adjustable fulcrum kit, which spaces the top wishbones further appart.

The XJ6 top ball joint is narrower than the TR version and can be used with spacers to fine tune the alignment with the vertical link. 

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

Spacers are used(and suppled with) Revington’s adjustable fulcrum kit, which spaces the top wishbones further appart.

The XJ6 top ball joint is narrower than the TR version and can be used with spacers to fine tune the alignment with the vertical link. 

You do need to be very careful setting the shims or you risk stressing the trunnion to vertical link thread. Best done with proper castor setting equipment which I do have.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

Ah, that's why I had them, they must have come with my Bastuk copy of the Revingtons upper fulcrum.

Bob