TR3a throttle pedal pin replacement

Mick, I used it to remove the lever from the rod.  I assumed the pin was broken in two places because of the way the accelerator rod behaved (which it turned out it was).  I punched out the pin from the lever on the bench and the middle bit from the rod while it was still attached to the car.

I fitted the puller so that the two lugs fitted behind the flange, which allowed the screw (not sure what that is called) could be screwed onto the accelerator rod, which then pulled the lever off.  So, the puller wheel was facing the engine block horizontally.  There was just enough room to get my hand in and turn the wheel.

Steve

2 hours ago, SteveP TR3A said:

Mick, I used it to remove the lever from the rod.  I assumed the pin was broken in two places because of the way the accelerator rod behaved (which it turned out it was).  I punched out the pin from the lever on the bench and the middle bit from the rod while it was still attached to the car.

I fitted the puller so that the two lugs fitted behind the flange, which allowed the screw (not sure what that is called) could be screwed onto the accelerator rod, which then pulled the lever off.  So, the puller wheel was facing the engine block horizontally.  There was just enough room to get my hand in and turn the wheel.

Steve

Thanks Steve, understand now.

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, SteveP TR3A said:

Hi Marco, it looks like the original so-called 'mills' pin.  It isn't copper - maybe mild steel?

Steve

Copper would explain it..

Have a close look, please. Maybe you have what we call (directly translated) „lead foot“ on the pedal…?

:lol:

Hi Marco,:D no lead foot I'm afraid.  However, while sorting it all out, I noticed there was not a pedal stop fitted, meaning the pedal could be literally 'pressed hard to the floor'.

I have now got a longer bolt that I will be fitting to the internal offside bracket, which is where, as I understand it, the pedal stop should be.

Steve

I would think it would be possible to make a tool a bit like this, with a nut on the end rather than a knurled knob., so you could get a socket on it from underneath. (Or is the starter motor in the way?)

You would just need the curved bit big enough to go over the throttle rod connector

Would it work for a tight taper pin though?

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/ppt13/roll-pin-removal-tool

7 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I would think it would be possible to make a tool a bit like this, with a nut on the end rather than a knurled knob., so you could get a socket on it from underneath. (Or is the starter motor in the way?)

You would just need the curved bit big enough to go over the throttle rod connector

Would it work for a tight taper pin though?

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/ppt13/roll-pin-removal-tool

You might even be able to adapt a bicycle chain link remover.   
https://www.qdstores.co.uk/products/rolson-bicycle-chain-link-remover.html#

image.thumb.jpeg.83cb7c23fb9a23c2a6198a1517d6466c.jpeg