RHD TR4a Cable Routings through firewall.

Good Day  I'd like to know the routings for the following please on a RHD TR4a with overdrive, and where they go through the firewall.  I don't think I've got enough holes in the bulkhead after the LHD to RHD conversion.

1.  Oil pressure pipe.

2.  Speedo cable.

3.  Rev counter cable.

4.  Heater water valve control cable

5.  Choke cable.

I've seen a great photo showing this info. for a TR6 but cannot find the same for a TR4a RHD with overdrive.

Thanks.

Steve - I have some photos of a stripped TR4A bulkhead with all the holes etc marked up - I'm sure I've posted it on here before but I can't find it a the moment - will have a better look later unless someone else finds it in the meantime

cheers Rich

FYI - Not sure if this applies to RHD cars, but several years ago we had a discussion on the US TR forum about choke cable routing n the 4A.  Apparently folks who had 4As with stock HS6 SUs, had an additional hole in the upper bulkhead, up near the bonnet latch. We surmised that this was due to how the HS6 choke cable routes/attaches to the top of the carb, while on previous carbs, the choke cable routed/attached from underneath. My 4A doesn’t have the additional hole as it didn’t come with HS6s originally.

Jim

2 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Steve  - found the photos at last - attached below - hope this helps - this is a UK registered RHD shell

Cheers Rich

IMG_0345.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg - Resizes.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg - Resizes.jpg

I am eternally grateful sir.  Many thanks for this.  I can go forward with confidence.  Did the car have SU or Strombergs as I read somewhere that this can change the choke cable route.  SU choke is from above, and Stromberg choke from below.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Steven Whitaker said:

I am eternally grateful sir.  Many thanks for this.  I can go forward with confidence.  Did the car have SU or Strombergs as I read somewhere that this can change the choke cable route.  SU choke is from above, and Stromberg choke from below.  Thanks again.

This car was fitted with Strombergs. My TR4 ( a different car) originally had Strombergs which were changed to SU's later but I don't recall the route of the choke cable being changed - maybe that explains why the choke was very stiff to use but luckily, I only ever needed a tiny bit of choke.

Cheers Rich 

IIRC Choke cable on SU equipped 4a came through the bulkhead next to the heater cable

Stuart.

photo0879.jpg

Thanks.  Through the same grommet as the water control cable?

And what’s that cable under the bonnet support rubber please?  

Edited by Steven Whitaker
42 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Thanks.  Through the same grommet as the water control cable?

And what’s that cable under the bonnet support rubber please?  

Yes thats the one, Ignore the other cable thats a speedo cable that was about to be fitted.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
4 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Ok thanks.  Where does your Speedo and rev counter go through the firewall please?

Steven - look at the 2nd and 4th photo in my original response - clearly shows where they go - the word "speedo" is partially obscured in one of the photos but more clearly shown in the other

Cheers Rich

PS Strictly speaking, we are talking here about what is usually known as the front bulkhead - many people associate the "firewall" with the area between the cockpit and the fuel tank, where just to confuse matters there wasn't a firewall in that position when the cars were originally built, but where they have often been fitted retrospectively for safety's sake 

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Steven - look at the 2nd and 4th photo in my original response - clearly shows where they go - the word "speedo" is partially obscured in one of the photos but more clearly shown in the other

Cheers Rich

PS Strictly speaking, we are talking here about what is usually known as the front bulkhead - many people associate the "firewall" with the area between the cockpit and the fuel tank, where just to confuse matters there wasn't a firewall in that position when the cars were originally built, but where they have often been fitted retrospectively for safety's sake 

Thanks Rich.  All clear now, cheers.

On 1/31/2024 at 1:39 PM, Tr4aJim said:

FYI - Not sure if this applies to RHD cars, but several years ago we had a discussion on the US TR forum about choke cable routing n the 4A.  Apparently folks who had 4As with stock HS6 SUs, had an additional hole in the upper bulkhead, up near the bonnet latch. We surmised that this was due to how the HS6 choke cable routes/attaches to the top of the carb, while on previous carbs, the choke cable routed/attached from underneath. My 4A doesn’t have the additional hole as it didn’t come with HS6s originally.

Jim

Cheers Jim.  Makes sense.