Am about to replace both upper and lower rubber buffers on the the damper links on the rear suspension of my TR6.

From looking at it will I need to have a spring compressor on the road spring or will it be ok without applying one?

Was hoping to be able to put the car on axle stands, loosen of the retaining nuts at the top and bottom of the damper links, remove the damper and apply the new rubber buffers and bolt it all back together......or have I just over simplified the the process?

There's no need to do anything with the rear springs

The hub end of the trailing arm is going to want drop down when the nuts on the bottom of the link are removed so when I do this I jack the rear up enough to remove the rear tire and put a support on the frame to keep it elevated.

I move the jack under the trailing arm, then remove the bottom nuts from the link and use the jack again so I can raise the trailing arm  back up enough to reinsert the link into the trailing arm and bushings.

I put a 1/2" stud through the hole in the trailing arm and top spring hanger using flat steel bar top and bottom  with the stud protruding through and screw the nuts in to compress the spring.Easy peasy and so controllable. Just the same when doing the fronts.

Regards Harry

Agree no need to do anything with the rear springs.

Just support the trailing arm with a jack and remove the drop links bottom nut(s) first. Push the damper arm up if required to slacken the nut which might be on a tapered pin if so smart whack with a hammer leaving the nut on to protect the threads. 

Consider using uprated ones as the cheaper rubbish on offer last five minutes or the rubber cracks before seeing the road! Just my opinion after doing the job twice instead of once.

Andy

Thanks for all the advice, bushes now replaced with polyurethane replacements. Managed to remove them without having to also remove the link arm they were attached to.

Took it for a run yesterday and all seemed good.