Hi all, it might be a stupid question, but here goes!!! I recently had a full engine rebuild on my TR3A, it has the 2.2L engine with the HS6 SU carbs. I need to start running it in for the next 400  miles and was wondering how long I should leave it on choke after initial start up as I was told it takes quite a while for the TR3 to get warm/operating temperature, and I don't wish to 'over choke' it?

Any advice appreciated, whils waiting for a bit of a temp rise here in west wales!!!

Hi John,

from cold, the choke needs to be out for as long as required in order for the engine, at low revs, to actually run.

So once under way after a minute push the chock in and see how it goes.  Easy enough to pull out for a few more moments.

Roger

We have to assume your engine is in tune regarding mixture and timing.

Don’t leave it on fast tickover with the choke out.   Your engine builder should have given you their advice on running in.  Did the engine get fitted with the correct water thermostat, (82 degrees c) that will bring the engine up to temperature more swiftly than no thermostat     Temp gauge should run at the middle or half hot.   It will rise and fall with different road conditions/speeds/loads as the thermostats opens and closes and cycles through its operation.    If it climbs up and does not seem to be levelling out at 3/4 hot   STOP  

If you have filled the radiator it will the excess water out as it warms and expands..the water level wants to be a least an inch below the bottom of the filler neck    Overfilling will only see it being blown out.

Get in it, start it, drive it.   With my car I will get the choke pushed fully home within 1/4 mile of home.   If you get to a junction or stop light and the engine stutters gently pull the choke out until it runs sweetly, pull away and push choke back in immediately.

Push the choke back in as soon as you can without the engine dying on you.  

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

My car with an engine that is similar to yours warms up very quickly.  If I drive it straight away, I can usually push the choke in by the end of the road (about 200 yards).  If I have it idling before I set off, I usually have it just on the slightly open throttle rather than richer mixture. The choke proper is only needed for starting.

Rgds Ian

I have three TRs.

The choke is back in on all of them within 500 metres of driving. They will idle a bit slow, about 500-600 rpm. Once fully warm they idle at 750-800 rpm. All three cars have engines at different modification states but they all start and warm up the same so it shouldn't make any difference if your car engine has a few mods.

Do not ever warm the engine up at idle. Start driving as soon as you can after start.

John

you need full instructions from the engine builder. Has the initial “fast” running for the cam been done - often 20mins as 2k rpm on the first run of the engine.?

as to general running in. As above get the choke in as soon as the engine runs with out it 

and do an number of heat cycles in your 400 mile eg 6 separate run outs. And after 100mikes don’t be too cautious with the revs lots of short bursts and not just sustained constant motoring. 

like I say ask the engine builder

this was one of my early running in runs

And this was less that 700miles on the new engine and after “1st service” and head check.

Edited by Hamish