Draper Digital Multimeter 41817 (200 series)

As my old multimeter is no longer reliable when measuring resistance (the reading wanders) and it has no continuity buzzer, I asked Father Christmas for a replacement.

Like my old device, the Draper meter uses a 9V battery. 

Iin the battery compartment there are 2 identical spring loaded connectors, but there  is no indication in the plastic moulding as to which is positive.  There nothing in the accompanying paper manual, nor the on-line manual (which is identical).

Clearly, I don't wish to damage the meter, so have emailed Draper, but the company is closed at present.

I would aooreciate help if someone has a similar Draper meter.

Ian Cornish

Thanks very much, Rob - I suspected that you would have the answer!

No, nothing on either side of the lid, but I have used my marker pen on the inside as you have indicated.

Ian Cornish

Yes - Rob is spot on, as always when it comes to electrics.

I wonder how long it will be before I receive a response from Draper.   It's crass not to have the polarity moulded into the unit, and coverage in the manual.

Ian Cornish

Looking at the image Rob posted I would have said the connections were error proofed by the width of the area provided by the plastic tabs the 9 v battery contacts are to fit in so they contact with the metal strips.    I have come across this technique on battery operated smoke detectors 

Peter - I had another look and I wouldn't say that the moulding is completely error-proof because the spring contacts sit slightly proud of the moulded ears, so it would be possible to apply 9V in the wrong direction when inserting a battery and if the meter were still "on", this might cause damage.

My battery-operated smoke detectors have always had the press stud type of connectors , which are pretty well idiot=proof.

Ian Cornish

Draper posted a response yesterday afternoon, and it appeared this morning.   It reads:

Thank you for contacting Draper Tools - We apologise for the missing details it is

+ bottom left
- bottom right

This confirms Rob's response to me.  However, no suggestion that anything further will be done to clarify in the Instruction leaflet or the moulding.

Ian Cornish