Outdoor PIR security light - how to bypass the PIR bit?

I've a cheap outdoor LED security light that the PIR part has packed up on. The PIR sensor bulb that hangs below the lamp has filled with water - I've tried to bodge it by drilling small drainage holes, then draining and displacing the water with contact spray to no avail. I'm thinking I'll replace it but try to keep the lamp part as a separate non PIR unit.

I found the attached wiring diagram on t'internet - am I right in thinking that if I just connect the live (brown) and switched live (red) wires that are routed to the damaged PIR I will achieve a lamp that can be switched on and off "normally"?

download.jpg

Edited by Rod1883
2 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

I've a cheap outdoor LED security light that the PIR part has packed up on. The PIR sensor bulb that hangs below the lamp has filled with water - I've tried to bodge it by drilling small drainage holes, then draining and displacing the water with contact spray to no avail. I'm thinking I'll replace it but try to keep the lamp part as a separate non PIR unit.

I found the attached wiring diagram on t'internet - am I right in thinking that if I just connect the live (brown) and switched live (red) wires that are routed to the damaged PIR I will achieve a lamp that can be switched on and off "normally"?

download.jpg

Yes Rod, that's all you need to do.

The above diagram of the input terminal is confusing though, there should not be a black line inside it - it makes it look like a switch.

Image1.jpg.c6aa2b00792b8ae6f689ea244080572c.jpg

That drawing is odd and a bit dangerous - there can be no switch in the fused spur between live and neutral  and unless the light is double-insulated it should have an earth :o.

It ought to look like this:

pir.jpg.b2dcf0e5126e1751c84930658e083f1b.jpg

I assume the fused spur already exists so you could fit a switched-fused spur instead of using a separate switch, and that would save having to alter the wiring to the light.

Edited by RobH

Been disappointed with several PIR type security lights when they either stop working or the adjustments fail, so have recently bought an infra red LED security light to see how that will work. Pretty cheap on EBay & no need to do any wiring. So far so good!