Triumph tr6 overdrive type j

Hi friends I'm Diego from Chile I have a triumph tr6 with overdrive type j and I bought a new box on eBay the seller told me that it was rebuilt in excellent condition but apparently it was not so install it eche oil, blood clutch and perfect all changes and overdrive also to test it lifted with 12 v direct current to the selenoid enters the 5 but the reverse gear skids while the wheels on the ground is heard to skid where the overdrive is but to lift the wheels turn smoothly but to have some support the wheels feel that skids from the overdrive if you could guide me I would appreciate it. 

As Roger says the overdrive is not meant to work in reverse gear because there is a mechanism inside which can break.

It sounds as though you have connected  12v direct to the solenoid.  The inhibit switch on the top of the gearbox is operated by the gear lever and should be connected so it allows power to the solenoid only in 3rd and 4th gear. 

Are you sure the overdrive is disconnected properly when in reverse, Diego ?  Perhaps the solenoid has stuck in the operated position?  

10 minutes ago, M2 competition said:

Thanks rob but the problem is that all gears it’s ok includes overdrive but when you put reverse with the wheels in ground don’t works and slipping clutch of overdrive but with the car in air the reverse works fine 

The Overdrive should only work in 3rd and 4th Gears if it’s working in Reverse you need to check why and under no circumstances try and reverse with the Overdrive engaged.

Diego,

As said already, engaging reverse fewer and overdrive together is very dangerous and can quickly destroy the overdrive unit's uni-directional clutch. Incorrect wiring, failed inhibitor switches or a stuck solenoid could cause the overdrive to remain engaged when reverse gear is selected... Which is vey bad news for the overdrive.

Could you disconnect all wiring from the gearbox and overdrive, then test now tune car behaves in reverse gear? If reverse is normal with electrics disconnected, the gearbox is okay and probably the overdrive is also okay. Then you need to find what is wrong with the electrics, could be wiring or solenoid.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Nigel

Diego

i had a problem in the eighties with an A type OD

everything worked great but when selecting reverse nothing happened

there was a spec of dirt in the relief valve was not disengaged i think so i could not select reverse

a quick turn of the spanner (all the tunnel was out) relieved the pressure and reverse was achieved

cleaned the relief valve and all operations went to normal

solenoid etc wired through the switch etc as normal

i never put the wheels off the ground

hope that maybe helps ??????

David

55 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Diego,

As said already, engaging reverse fewer and overdrive together is very dangerous and can quickly destroy the overdrive unit's uni-directional clutch. Incorrect wiring, failed inhibitor switches or a stuck solenoid could cause the overdrive to remain engaged when reverse gear is selected... Which is vey bad news for the overdrive.

Could you disconnect all wiring from the gearbox and overdrive, then test now tune car behaves in reverse gear? If reverse is normal with electrics disconnected, the gearbox is okay and probably the overdrive is also okay. Then you need to find what is wrong with the electrics, could be wiring or solenoid.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Nigel

Thanks a lot friend I desconect all and the same reverse slipping and don’t works whith wheels in ground if i put in the air the wheel it’s works you think that could be th springs of OD or unidirectional clutch of OD or not?

Either the solenoid is stuck in the operated position or something is wrong within the overdrive. The cone clutch is necessary to transmit power for reverse gear so perhaps that isn't gripping properly - just enough to spin the wheels when off the ground but not enough when loaded . 

Buckeye has a good description of how the OD works - see  page 5 for the unidirectional clutch 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d0196463994c400012c8af6/1560385096364/J+Type+Overdrive+Part+I.pdf