A lost Member

A rare poster on here went by the handle of Alfie14    Andy to his mates.

Last month the WFTR group leader announced that Andy was quite poorly.

This month it was announced that he died the following day (last month.)

How can you be poorly and then be dead the following day.

He was such a nice guy.

RiP Andy

Roger

Edited by RogerH

It's all in those small words Roger.

"Quite" poorly is a measure above poorly and means "very" poorly which surely means the next level can be terminal ? I remember a group of British soldiers in I think the Korean war 

But when the British brigadier reported the position to his American superior in the United Nations joint command, he did so with classic and -as it turned out - lethal British understatement.

"Things are a bit sticky, sir," Brig Tom Brodie of the Gloucestershire Regiment told General Robert H Soule, intending to convey that they were in extreme difficulty.

But Gen Soule understood this to mean "We're having a bit of rough and tumble but we're holding the line". Oh good, the general decided, no need to reinforce or withdraw them, not yet anyway....Wrong !

People talking of others or circumstances should try and make sure of no equivocation ie be clear.

Mick Richards 

We've all known people, @RogerH, who were (apparently) doing quite well the day before they died!  Quite poorly would have set off alarm bells for me, fershure.