Bastuck Bonnet sealant

Fitting the new Bastuck bonnet from TR Shop after the altercation with a Volvo XC40; all looks good, lines up well and fits fine. I noticed that between the bonnet skin underside and the latitudinal  strengthener there are large lumps of a thick sealant which I'm told is for anti-vibration; question is has anyone come across this before and how best to smarten it up as the finish is very rough

VMT David

bonnet1..JPG

Bonnet2..JPG

Stanley knife following the line of the stringer. Though TBH the stringer should be closer to the bonnet skin than that, if it was mine I would remove it and make it fit closer to the skin and use Sikaflex to seal.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi David,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I've got one of the Bastuck bonnets (from The TRShop) and it certainly didn't have that grey blobby stuff, .... I used windscreen sealant to fill all those gaps and support the top skin and then sprayed Gravitex underseal to the centre section to replicate how my car left the factory.                                                                                        Cheers Rob

2 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi David,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I've got one of the Bastuck bonnets (from The TRShop) and it certainly didn't have that grey blobby stuff, .... I used windscreen sealant to fill all those gaps and support the top skin and then sprayed Gravitex underseal to the centre section to replicate how my car left the factory.                                                                                        Cheers Rob

Factory never used anything other than paint under the bonnet.

Stuart.

12 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stanley knife following the line of the stringer. Though TBH the stringer should be closer to the bonnet skin than that, if it was mine I would remove it and make it fit closer to the skin and use Sikaflex to seal.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart (and Rob), the gap between the stringer and the bonnet skin was very close to that gap on my original bonnet, I have heard some say there was a felt strip between them originally, if so mine had long since disappeared

Rgds

David

14 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Interestingly, the photo of the bonnet on the Rimmers' website appears to show the grey blobby stuff, I assume they are selling Bastuck also

11 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Thanks Stuart (and Rob), the gap between the stringer and the bonnet skin was very close to that gap on my original bonnet, I have heard some say there was a felt strip between them originally, if so mine had long since disappeared

Rgds

David

There was originally a sort of a black horsehair strip between the stringer and the skin and the same across under the front and rear strengtheners, often missing.

Stuart.

17 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Maybe it was applied when the car was undersealed by the supplying dealer (Barkley Square Garage), I got the car just before it's 5th birthday and it was like that then, it certainly gives the bonnet a nice solid feel and acts to deaden the sound a bit.  

Yes only ever dealer supplied, often back then it was Zebart which looked horrid as it was black and would be applied all under the bonnet and often across inner wings too. If applied correctly it did save them for certainly a lot longer than they were lasting back then. Sadly if the application was poor or it got chipped then water got in underneath and there would eventually be nothing left behind.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

There was originally a sort of a black horsehair strip between the stringer and the skin and the same across under the front and rear strengtheners, often missing.

Stuart.

My 5 had the ‘horsehair’ felt under all the bonnet members which I replaced during the rebuild with the appropriate thickness of black felt from Woolies.

Tim

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Yes only ever dealer supplied, often back then it was Zebart which looked horrid as it was black and would be applied all under the bonnet and often across inner wings too. If applied correctly it did save them for certainly a lot longer than they were lasting back then. Sadly if the application was poor or it got chipped then water got in underneath and there would eventually be nothing left behind.

Stuart.

I must have been lucky 'cause my one looked very neatly done, just the centre section, and lasted right up to the big off I had back in 2019, ... that horsehair stuff has a lot to answer for with regard to rusted out bonnets!!

4 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

I must have been lucky 'cause my one looked very neatly done, just the centre section, and lasted right up to the big off I had back in 2019, ... that horsehair stuff has a lot to answer for with regard to rusted out bonnets!!

I, too , must have been lucky, as no rust under the horsehair. :)

Tim