TR4 engine compression test

I've just done an engine compression test on my TR4 race car and found that it showed about 180psi on each cylinder, but when injected with a little oil, it improved to about 200 psi. I'm not sure if this is indicating a problem with wear, (or valve seats), and would benefit with a cylinder hone and new rings, or is about what should be expected. Any thoughts ?

Do you have a reference to what it was when the motor was first built and after it was broken in? Done cold? 

A huge jump between the two would indicate ring seal, but who knows where you’re at relative to where it was assembled. A leakdown test would tell you more considering you don’t have a baseline to compare to. 

Those figures sound perfectly reasonable to me. There will always be some leakage past the rings, & oil will always reduce that. The main thing is that all the cylinders give readings in the same ballpark.

Bob

Sounds good to me Dave. That sort of difference wet to dry is as Bob says is about right. 

they are high enough to suggest a higher compression  ratio too. 

+1 Sounds good.

After a fresh engine rebuild and break in is complete, a compression test with a note made of the compressions at least gives a reference point when checking compressions for faults in the near future.

Mick Richards