softtop troubles

I have recently bought a TR6 , Royal Blue, in very good condition, CP car 1971.

Problem I have is torn plastic windows in the softtop, which is otherwise in good shape.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to remove these windows. They seem to be glued or 

melted to the fabric. I would welcome a method or trick. Perhaps applying heat with a hairdryer ?

Hi Wouter

Welcome to the `forum.

Suspect you would need to remove the hood and cut them out just at the point where they are welded to the fabric (are you sure they are not stitched in). Then find a trimmer who could stitch some material in only down side is I suspect they won't be water tight. Given the work to remove the hood it may well be better to replace the hood with a new one.

If they turn out to be stitched your likely to get a better repair and be waterproof.

Others I'm sure will be along to offer advice as well.

Andy

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

Hi Wouter

Welcome to the `forum.

Suspect you would need to remove the hood and cut them out just at the point where they are welded to the fabric (are you sure they are not stitched in). Then find a trimmer who could stitch some material in only down side is I suspect they won't be water tight. Given the work to remove the hood it may well be better to replace the hood with a new one.

If they turn out to be stitched your likely to get a better repair and be waterproof.

Others I'm sure will be along to offer advice as well.

Andy

Welded in windows is the usual technique.  Get the fabric assy off the car and to a trimmer who will either stitch or weld a new window in as required.    My suggestion is that you let the trimmer remove the window so they know where to cut it back to.  
In Netherlands you may find there is a boat repairer that can help you with the repair if a vehicle trimmer is not easy to find.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

When I got my 6 , I noticed that the windows were coming away at the seams. The advice from the forum was to contact my local sail maker . This I did . I took the whole unit down and all the pvc windows were replaced for £50 . 
only useful if you have a sail maker nearby !!!

Check out the nearest Chandlers stores, they know most of the supporting trades cos they supply bits to them.

Mick Richards

Good afternoon Gentlemen, thank you very much for your advice.

I removed the softtop from the car to make the repair easier.  I visit a good

sailmaker regularly, so I will take the top to him and w'll discuss the best way 

to tackle this job.