With the festive season stating to loom large in folks minds,

I have been asked what I might like Santa to bring me if I'm really good.

I'm thinking of a Dash Cam, anyone got any recommendations for and against, and are any interchangeable 

say  fixed mounts in two or three cars, and one camera, I have a chance of learning how to work?

Cheers

John.

Hi John,

the 'fixed' mounts are 'stick on the window' type.  You can swap to any car with them fitted

I nave a NextBase 512GW.  It only looks forwards. It works well.

You can get ones that look both forwards & rearwards

The models appear to change at least annually.

Do not tamper with the supplied power lead. The connector is also a 5V regulator. DO NOT fit an ordinary cigarette lighter plug.

Roger

16 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Do not tamper with the supplied power lead. The connector is also a 5V regulator. DO NOT fit an ordinary cigarette lighter plug.

Roger

Like Roger, I have a Nextbase John.

Mine was about £70 if my memory serves, so 'cheap' in the world of dashcam.

Daylight picture quality is good.

Night-time picture quality adequate for the most part.

Generally, the more expensive the camera, the better the night quality.

Really cheap cameras are verboten.

Nextbase cameras have a sliding mount that allows you to remove the camera, whilst leaving the suction mount and power cable in place, you can buy additional suction mounts and cables so you could have mounts in more than one car and switch the camera between them

Good if you have multiple cars and an expensive camera

this would save time with titting about resticking the suction cup, rerunning the power cable  and then lining up the camera each time

Most importantly do NOT ask Roger how he found out about tampering with the power lead

27 minutes ago, RogerH said:

:(

Yes

I remember . . . . . .

7 hours ago, John Morrison said:

With the festive season stating to loom large in folks minds,

I have been asked what I might like Santa to bring me if I'm really good.

I'm thinking of a Dash Cam, anyone got any recommendations for and against, and are any interchangeable 

say  fixed mounts in two or three cars, and one camera, I have a chance of learning how to work?

Cheers

John.

John,  the 'Transend'  make of dashcams are good. I have one of these and another slightly cheaper unit, the difference in playback quality is very noticable.

The Transcend also allows you to choose what 'shock' level you want for recording and importantly not overwriting those clips in case you need them later. It also comes on a sliding mount.

Bob

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

dumped my 12v cigatette plug by installing a 5v USB socket (£4 off ebay) and use the USB/PC power lead supplied in the car now to save space.