Competing abroad, avoiding customs problems.

I haven't recently but I understand that all sorts of 'customs' barriers have arisen since the  Great Error (Brexit), and that people are expected to buy an "ATA Carnet" form at some expense.   However, a post appeared on the Facebook page of the series that I race in, that organises annual trips to European venues.  That gave a link to an article by one who knows of what he speaks, Peter Horsman, who has provided details of the agreements between the UK and Europe which make the Carnet and the expense unnecessary!   He includes links to all the freely available paperwork.      I must point out that I haven't used this method myself, but Mr.Horsman assures us that the method has been tried and works!

Mr.Horsman's "A guide to personally exporting a race car for use at EU race events" may be seen at:

http://www.hgpca.com/images/2023_DOCUMENTS/ATA_CARNET_PAPER_V6.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3dBfUgY-5jDX4bA-832l7-FnLVYqlQfphWGfLsH-C4gQM3ku-57fUVd6s

John

It was a post on facebook that came up i think cscc site.Cannot find it now.  Showing the fine payment doc.

One of the lorries that transport cars over had the same. I think it was Nigel Rubens but not certain.

Roy

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting that paper John. I'm taking a UK registered (ie V5'd) rally car by trailer to the Continent in March and I'd been researching the current situation. I've read that even registered UK cars on trailers are sometimes being blocked by French customers if no carnet, although I don't know how prevalent that is. Apparently the French customs sometimes decide not to recognise a trailered car as a "means of transport", even if it's roadworthy and road legal. We're going to go over via Rotterdam and hoping Dutch customs will be sensible.

The "active" protocol (Articles 139(1) and 141(1)) described in the paper seems like a very useful thing to have in one's back pocket!

We trailered a rally car into Republic of Ireland via Rosslare last year and although the car was V5'd the Irish customs required us to make the oral declaration which involved going to the customs compound and filling in a form, both on arrival and departure.

Fingers crossed for everyone this year anyway.

Nigel