The bit that goes into the instrument has a clawed plastic ferrule to retain it in the double slot hole.  The inside cable part of the trip fits to the brass thing in the hole.  The thumb nut and outer casing are secured to something under the dash below the speedo 

Can be seen in this pic

image.thumb.jpeg.336db822aaeeb82aa805d483636fa538.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks for the prompt reply. It appears the bracket to which the cable end fits under the dash is missing but thats easily remedied. Tried moss and rimmers but they are out of stock. Has any one any idea who supplies, or do other models fit eg MGB etc.

Sadly I think it is common to Jaguar.   Try Speedy Cables or Renown they may have used/refurbed.   Revington offer it at slightly under the national debt of a small African nation, which is probably the Jag price.  

here is an used one in n wales.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335027643387?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=335027643387&targetid=4585032215660915&device=t&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=554648192&mkgroupid=1302922387078119&rlsatarget=pla-4585032215660915&abcId=9323209&merchantid=87779&msclkid=c8074dd1be9f1c847e3428f470d7977a

might trip to 20 mph max though………

Thanks for that. I checked out Revington and found a second hand one at a reasonable price, unfortunately they will not post anything under £30. I have bought the jag one, at that price its worth the risk. I can always get rid of the extra lenght. Thanks once again.

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Thanks for that. I checked out Revington and found a second hand one at a reasonable price, unfortunately they will not post anything under £30.

Thats not very helpful, presumably new policy as Ive not had that problem with them.

Stuart.

Hi Phil

Try messaging ricky30dk who supplied me with a new OEM one recently for my early TR6 perhaps its the same part as for the 5.

Andy 

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Phil

Try messaging ricky30dk who supplied me with a new OEM one recently for my early TR6 perhaps its the same part as for the 5.

Andy 

It is