Fitting replacement Water Pump

Hi Folks,

I've just read Marco's post about his broken water pump pulley attachment breaking.

This reminded me of a possible roadside problem  for the TR2 -4A engibes.

For some reason TRiumph attached the pump with 2 x studs and 1 x bolt. They may have had a very good reason for this, but it is unknown to me

Firstly, do you carry a spare pump and gasket/  If not then you should.  Easy to fit by the roadside but difficult to buy locally.

Does it have a pulley fitted to it?   If so does it have the bolt in place !!! 

If you are lucky to borrow a pump with pulley fitted and it has NO bolt - what do you do.

So the answer is to fit a third stud where the bolt would have been.  (or carry a suitable stud and nut)

It is easy to remove if your spare has the bolt fitted. (double nut method)

Roger

Sorry if we have lots of Grannies with egg sucking going on.

Edited by RogerH

4 cylinder water pumps have been a feature of this Summers TR trips.

On the way back from the TRCH@50 one of our group had the shaft on the water pump shear on his 4A, we had a spare pump and unattached pulley (I belive they were from Moss) which was fitted and off we went. When we got to the Eurotunnel we found the pulley was loose so we knocked it back onto the taper and did the nut up tight, this was repeated two more times on the drive up to Cambridgeshire.

When he got home the pump and pulley were removed and he found the tappers didn't match, so no chance of the pulley staying in place.

He then purchased a pump and pulley from Racetorations which started leaking from the bleed hole on our next run out. The clever AA man plugged the bleed hole with JB Weld this got him home. (JB Weld now added to travel kit)

Racetorations were very good and replaced the pump and its been good ever since.

George 

Referring to RogerH's tip about fitting a stud and nut to replace the famous bolt:

Mr P. Wigglesworth gave me yet another excellent tip which was to use a stud from the rocker pedestals. (what does this man not know about nuts, bolts - and studs?)

I was lucky as I just happen to have a spare engine under the bench

Life has become much simpler since I fitted this.

james

19 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I've just read Marco's post about his broken water pump pulley attachment breaking.

This reminded me of a possible roadside problem  for the TR2 -4A engibes.

For some reason TRiumph attached the pump with 2 x studs and 1 x bolt. They may have had a very good reason for this, but it is unknown to me

Firstly, do you carry a spare pump and gasket/  If not then you should.  Easy to fit by the roadside but difficult to buy locally.

Does it have a pulley fitted to it?   If so does it have the bolt in place !!! 

If you are lucky to borrow a pump with pulley fitted and it has NO bolt - what do you do.

So the answer is to fit a third stud where the bolt would have been.  (or carry a suitable stud and nut)

It is easy to remove if your spare has the bolt fitted. (double nut method)

Roger

Sorry if we have lots of Grannies with egg sucking going on.

Hi Roger, thank you for that!

On advice of this forum I fitted a 3rd stud with threaded end instead of the bolt with hex nut.

And I always carry a reday to fit pump - pulley unit in my TRs boot - and water to wash hands - also to top up the rad!

I have been very pleased about that last weekend because the gap in the pulley was worn (noticed that later)!

So I had you use a puller in my workshop to get the @?/%$!!@ pulley off the failed waterpump - NO change next to the street for that.

Luckily I had a first aid stuff container in the boot too to catch 2 liter of coolant to refill it!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320