TR4 & 4A radiators

I’m currently fettling the radiator on a TR4, CT11940 (no neck or starter handle hole with overflow bottle fixed to the side frame of the rad)  which had a Revotec fan fitted using pull through plastic pins.

I’d like to replace these with brackets when I get the radiator back from the rad man. It would seem from the online Moss catalogue that these are different from 4 to 4A. 
I suspect that this is not the original rad, can somebody enlighten me on the distinguishing features between a 4 and a 4A item, please?

For my own intellectual enlightenment will a set of Sidescreen brackets work ? I just happen to have some available immediately.

james

Edited by james christie

James - they are completely different rads - the TR4 one is essentially the same as the earlier model ones ie it is narrower but thicker in depth whereas the 4A one is much wider and hence less shallow in depth.

Photos below show a 4A one

171897906_IMG_0493(2).jpg.2376c1d3b43e86524e9f5454904c0557.jpg1639161906_IMG_0495(2).jpg.a688b9120a1910125fd6c444dda700a8.jpg

Sorry but I dont have a photo of  TR4 one to hand at the moment but hopefully this helps

cheers Rich

IMG_0492 (2).jpg

IMG_0494 (2).jpg

Thanks the photos are a great help. They’ll be an even greater help when I get the rad back.

Are the fixing brackets further apart on the 4A?

I can’t see the top brace brackets on the 4A - are there any?

james

Edited by james christie

The 2/3/4 radiators are all the same width and sit on the chassis the same way   They all have top stays that attach to the radiator corners

The revotec brackets attach to these top brackets and sit under the lower mounting brackets twixt chassis and radiator 

4A is a good 2-3 inches wider    The revotec brackets are unlikely to be of any use on a TR4A   

Be sure the front crank bolt does not foul the revotec fan surround when using their brackets on 2/3/4. Works fine with narrow belt conversion kit

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
A added to read TR4A
26 minutes ago, james christie said:

Hi Pete

Did you mean that or did you mean to say TR4A?

james

My mistake.     Should be 4A

The TR2/3/4 brackets cannot be substituted easily by the 4A items due to radiator widths and the upper stay location. 

Thanks everybody for their help, a Sidescreen man for 53 years, thanks to this forum I’ve learnt more about TR4 and 4A radiators in a morning than I have in a lifetime.

My conclusion is that l’ll hang it all together with the set of brackets I just happen to have in a drawer that are waiting to be used fit my own Revotec to my 3A.

I’ll order a replacement set through Moss in Paris - it’s just too much hassle to buy anything in UK nowadays.

james

Edited by james christie