TR5 Gearbox

Here you go. An A type full throttle 4th to OD 4th 

at about 1.35 into this video 

great fun. 

Peter, Stuart & Hamish,

Some great feedback, thanks very much. As regards the clutch, I won't bother.

@Hamish - Aintree looks like fun.

@Stuart - I need to be careful when listening to Healey drivers!!!

Thanks again,

Malcolm

On 9/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, rcreweread said:

I'm surprised that ORS advised that OD would only be found on 3rd and 4th, which I assume meant they thought it was a J type box/OD which clearly TR5/250 models never had, the J type coming in on the later TR6s ( CR series I think was the changeover).

Another alternative to consider is Pete Cox (  https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/  )

Cheers Rich

My 250 which was one of the last made has a j type over drive. overdrive on 3&4 dont know if this was a later replacement but its very smooth.

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

My 250 which was one of the last made has a j type over drive. overdrive on 3&4 dont know if this was a later replacement but its very smooth.

Definitely a later replacement box. "A" types continued through TR6 production until introduction of the CR model late 72.

Stuart.

If you haven’t got an overdrive box you can fit a J type or an A type to your car.

However your car would originally had an A type. If you fit a J type you need to be aware the chassis mounts which take the weight of the rear of the box are different for the two. Not a problem as such but you would need an adaptor if you fit a J type to your car.

Does it matter whether you have overdrive on 2nd & 3rd & 4th or just on 3rd & 4th is about how you choose to use it. The appeal of a 7 speed transmission is countered by the spacing  of the gears. If you have a close ratio box it allows 7 gears. However the torque band of the 6 pot might render this superfluous. O/d 3rd useful in traffic If otherwise in and out of 4th and o/d in top is good for motorway cruising.

Triumph/Laycock dropped o/d 2nd to limit the torque through the J type. Some assume this is a suggestion that the J is weaker but is almost bombproof in reality.