High Alt testing

Hello Gentlemen, 

Just came sucessfully back from my "Goldfinger Tour".  (Those of you familiar with the James Bond movies, may remember the scene in the .Swiss Alps). Great tour - 200km from where I live and at 2300 m altitude. If an Aston Martin can do it, a TR2 can!B) - and it did

gf2.jpg

gf1.jpg

Edited by Moliver

Ok, so far as for the pictures. I did not have severe technical problems, however suspect my radiator cap to open too early.

Question: I do have a TR4A engine installed in my TR2 - original TR2 radiator. Is it correct, that the opening pressure is different between 2 and 4/A ?

My cap is 4 lbs

Another stupid one: As the TR2s do not have an expansion tank, is the radiator to be topped uo to max or should I leave the neck empty ?

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver

4lb radiator cap is fine. The thermostat should open at 82C whether TR2 or TR4

Fill the radiator up to about 1cm of liquid in the expansion tank - no point in any more it will just be spat out with the expansion when hot.

You say you have an original TR2 radiator this will be easily sufficient, particularly with the TR2 front as it naturally directs air through the rad. Those of us with 3As must fit the cardboard cowl to ensure good airflow  or things can get a bit hot.

BUT you can gain a lot more cooling by the suppression of the starting handle hole - 15% more I believe. 

I have a similiar setup to you on my 3A.  4A engine, HS6 carburettors, 4 branch exhaust manifold, full radiator with no starter handle hole and an electric fan - no mechanical fan.

I clean out the waterways thoroughly every two years when I change the antifreeze.

james

Hello James, 

Thanks for the input. I do have a new radiator without the handle hole alrady and  I do have an electrical fan (with the original removed).

I think I have overfilled the tank and I may advance the kick-in temp point of the fan.

Out of couriosity: Why did the TR4/4A have a 7 lbs cap then ?

The function of the pressure cap is to raise the boiling point of the fluid. A 4 lb cap raises it to 106.9ºC while a 7 lb cap raises it to 111.3ºC

Obviously the higher the pressure, the more the stress on hoses and joints but Triumph must have  figured the TR4 setup could take it and benefit from the larger margin against boiling.  

I have an R-tec fan installed (came with the car), I can find the installation manual, however cannot find the manual for the electronic fan controller. Can anyone advise of how the kick-in temp can be set on this model ?

13 hours ago, james christie said:

Hi Oliver

4lb radiator cap is fine. The thermostat should open at 82C whether TR2 or TR4

Fill the radiator up to about 1cm of liquid in the expansion tank - no point in any more it will just be spat out with the expansion when hot.

You say you have an original TR2 radiator this will be easily sufficient, particularly with the TR2 front as it naturally directs air through the rad. Those of us with 3As must fit the cardboard cowl to ensure good airflow  or things can get a bit hot.

BUT you can gain a lot more cooling by the suppression of the starting handle hole - 15% more I believe. 

I have a similiar setup to you on my 3A.  4A engine, HS6 carburettors, 4 branch exhaust manifold, full radiator with no starter handle hole and an electric fan - no mechanical fan.

I clean out the waterways thoroughly every two years when I change the antifreeze.

james

Hi Oliver,

Like James I run with an electric fan and 4 lb pressure cap on the radiator.  I also have a recovery tank fitted.   This is fancy stuff and not crucial as the big expansion radiator filler neck allows for all the water expansion when hot.    As soon as it all cools the level drops to where it wants to be.

I have found it helpful to fill, run the car on a regular journey, check there is water visible  in the system once it has cooled, and if so, leave well alone!    I do carry 1 gallon of water….just in case.  Just remember how low that water level looks for the next time you check and are tempted to ‘just top it up’.

39 minutes ago, james christie said:

Now that is belt and braces- a gallon of water in reserve - in England?

james

That is because wine is not so readily available here.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT