Solenoid stop

Been sorting the overdrive which was playing up - solenoid knackered so got the lovely job of taking the tunnel cover out to sort.

I noticed that the screw for the solenoid stop - the one you adjust the gap on isn't correct. (Too short and no lock nut)

Not currently available from the regular suppliers but a set screw and a nut should suffice.

Anyone know what the thread is?

My sympathy with your plight, Andy.

About a month ago I finally resigned myself to sorting out intermittent overdrive operation and narrowed it down to what I thought was an electrical problem at the solenoid.
However I do object to the hassle of removing the tunnel cover for such a small job - even if I have fitted Rivnuts.

So I set too with a saw and cut a neat (well, I think it’s neat) access panel in the cover in the right place and replaced it an aluminium plate using self tappers and some some non setting mastic to ensure it is watertight.

Wonderful result. I now almost look forward to the next solenoid problem !

Oh and the solenoid problem was the rubber boot dissolving in a minor oil leak and crumpling up. A cinch to replace now.

james

Edited by james christie
52 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

No that's one of todays jobs when I replace the solenoid.

The allen screw is currently NCA which is the reason for the thread size query.

My guess is 10-32 unf.   That was the grub screw I screwed into my TR2 some 40 years ago.

My current overdrive came with a rubber buffer fitted.   That has its own problems.  It went goooey and the solenoid piston stuck to it and caused the solenoid to burn out…

Overdrive Repair Services offer the plate with the stop screw inserted.

Worth ringing them to ask if you can have the screw and nut as spares.

https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/product/a-type-tr-solenoid-mounting-plate/

or ring Pete Cox as they dabble with gearbox and overdrive 

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT