TR2 Inlet manifold

I have just rebuilt the carbs on my TR2 and also had a close look at the inlet manifold. This is a very poor design for gas flow although it seems to work and Triumph addressed the problem on the TR4A with a much better design. I wonder if any of the engine tuners such as Derrington or SAH back in the day offered an improved manifold for a TR2 so I could continue to use the H4 carbs. Are any around or am I looking for a Unicorn?

Cheers

Richard

DSCN3576.JPG

Wilen Engineering produced an improved manifold for the TR2 and when the TR3 came out they produced one for that as well.  They also sold an adaptor plate so that the H4 carbs could be attached to the later manifold.  Wilen products are quite rare but they do come up for sale occasionally.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Andrew, I will keep looking. At least now I know I am not wasting my time and in the meantime I may try improving the original manifold.

Cheers

Richard

Yes the was a simple adaptor plate to fit H4 to the H6 manifold, or more likely the other way round.  Nothing clever.   A steel plate with studs sticking out.

The only issue I recall is that the carbs get very close to the inner front wing on a TR2 with the 4A inlet manifold.   Air cleaners may have to be adapted or deleted.    
Hamish ran the 4A inlet manifold with H type carbs and ram pipes at one point in time.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

When one considers the outstanding fuel economy of the TR2 in standard form, there cannot be too much wrong with that very simple design.

A TR2 achieved over 80 mpg in the Mobil Economy Run by clever use of freewheeling and its high torque, which meant that the TR2 was able to climb inclines in a higher gear than was possible in other cars.  In addition, because the brakes (although drum) were good, the TR2 could descend hills with engine turned off, yet still stop at the bottom - lesser machines needed engine braking to prevent brakes fading to near nothing.

The organisers changed the rules after this embarrassing win by the TR2!

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc