Tunnel cover questions

After hopefully fixing my leaking O/D actuating spindle leak, time to refit the old cardboard tunnel.

Sadly its had its day and now in the Bin.  I bought a new 2 piece tunnel made from plastic, fitted the old rubbers, and the holes around the front hoop dont line up.

Are rubbers needed with this type of tunnel? are they a usual problem to line up properly????

Hi Pete

If its anything like the "plastic" one I had it was a very poor fit in a lot of places. In the end I gave up and bought a two piece black one from Racestorations. Not cheap but a good fit and with numerous inspection panels and grommets to allow access to the transmission without the need to remove the tunnel. 

I used 4mm soft EVA tape rather than rubber which stays in place better when fitting it.

Only thing I would advise is cutting a hole for access to the starter motor bolt which is otherwise very difficult to access. 

Andy

26 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Hi Pete

If its anything like the "plastic" one I had it was a very poor fit in a lot of places. In the end I gave up and bought a two piece black one from Racestorations. Not cheap but a good fit and with numerous inspection panels and grommets to allow access to the transmission without the need to remove the tunnel. 

I used 4mm soft EVA tape rather than rubber which stays in place better when fitting it.

Only thing I would advise is cutting a hole for access to the starter motor bolt which is otherwise very difficult to access. 

Andy

+1

Roger

Now fitted, not easy but the front holes over the bulkhead all lined up fine, but all the others didn't .

these 2 piece things are expensive, but no access for a gearbox top up, and poor access to the solenoid. cannot see the point. but after all the problems getting it to fit,

I just couldn't be minded to do any further mods.

Hi Pete,

that was exactly my experience with the 2- piece plastic tunnel. I used cell-foam rubber which worked ok, sort off.

The GB can be filled/ topped-up trough the level plug on the LHS without removal of the cover.

Waldi

When I did mine there were no holes you had to mark the position by pushing up through the nuts.  As my cockpit gets really hot I lined the tunnel with heat pad and also put a large rubber grommet in the tunnel to access the gearbox oil level, when I asked Racetorations why they didn't put one in I got a very sniffy reply.