Balancing Knock On Alloy Wheels

Balancing Knock on Alloy Wheels

Hello All,

I know wire wheels need to be balanced using a balancing cone because the hub part of the wheel is only accurately machined on the outer edge of the nose and at the splines but what about the newer Alloy wheels with the steel splined adapter?

I have asked a couple of those selling sets but have not had a direct answer.

Anybody know the answer?

Thanks

Edgar

BC.JPG

11 hours ago, Shielob said:

Hi Roy, is that because it had to be done or just seemed the thing to do?

Edgar

Well it's always good practice as not all tyres are perfect even if the rims maybe.

Finding a company can be a chore. One that deals in historic motorsport tyres is always a good starting point.

Even taking the car to an historic meeting where they are attending.

Roy

A centre lock wheel such as knock on wires or alloys need those cones to balance correctly as Drewmotty says. I have the knock on Minilite alloys & Blockley Tyres in Gloucestershire have been the only people near to me that have done the job properly using the correct cones.

My local Formula 1 Autocentre successfully balanced my knock on alloys. I offered my set of cones to them but they said their machine can accommodate knock ons. Whether they meant that they had their own set of cones I don’t know but they did the job and they’re properly balanced. 

Edited by peejay4A