Front springs seem short even for uprated ones

Hi all. just bought a TR7 with a V8 SD1 lump in it. It was originally refurbed in the late 90’s. I thought the o/s front spring was broken but on stripping it out found someone had fitted some sort of restriction device to keep the coil permanently compressed. Why would you do that? I’ve cut this off and now I seem to have the following, there seems to be a lot of vertical play on the front wheels when the car is jacked up. 
Ive removed the o/s macpherson strut and found that when the shock absorber is at full extension the coil spring is loose. i.e there was no need to compress the springs. The fitted spring is a smidge over 10” when free. The spring is red and I didn’t have to compress it to disassemble the unit. Are the springs too short? 

Also the brake calipers are 4 pot with twin pipes. SD1’s I think and seized so probably the same when I strip the n/s. Where can I get replacements?Any help is appreciated

That is a short spring. AFAIK the original, and very soft, springs were 13”. Commonly uprated 200lb springs were slightly shorter but only by an inch.  Think you are right and that 10” is just a little too short. 

Edited by malcolm
2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

These people get good reviews for caliper refurbishing

https://www.biggred.co.uk/caliper

I have used them for parts on the Spitfire years ago and still good probably 40,000 miles later!

Roger

ps I did buy S/S pistons (why would you want plated ones? and on silicon fluid which had not been a problem for me!(Racing maybe different ?)

OP---Sounds like you may have `heavy duty-1" lowering springs`

These are aftermarket and generally available from the normal sources - they variously are said to be around 200lb rated or 160lb, depending on the source.

A pair of front struts I bought to refurbish had similar springs fitted.-source unknown but these were black!,  (annoying as I wanted std. build). They were approx. 10" free length but the Spax adjustable shocks were 1" shorter than standard so the issue you`ve  noted didn`t exist on these struts but my experience may offer you some insights!

Edited by Howard722

Hi all

just been over to Rimmer Bros clutching my so called uprated spring. Guess what’s it’s around 2” shorter than their HD springs. As the guy said if you drive it with those springs on lincs road you’ll rip the bottom out. So purchased 2 new springs and various front suspension rubber bits and pieces. 
just the callipers to sort out now. Thanks for all the help so far

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with the red springs on my TR7/8. 
it seems that the shocks are too long and don’t compress the springs when the strut is unloaded. 
I don’t want to increase the ride height by using the longer springs so I have turned a 10mm spacer from aluminium which takes up the slack. 
seems to fix the unloaded play problem OK.