Ok I have now taken the radiator out and although I have put a hose pipe thru i and it runs ok I will still get it checked out. On Rich suggestion I have removed the block drain plug because there was no lever left on it broken of and jammed I removed the whole plug. No water intaily came out of the hole but after poking about with a sharp pointed screw driver and then a small plastic rod water started to come out. When I put hose pipe water thru the top hose it ran out a a stream not blasting across hitting the inner wing but more than just dribbling. I did wonder would I get more pressure by taking the thermostat housing of and forcing water in that way or even thru the bottom hose.

Inside the plug /tap I found what looked like very fine casting sand. !! also in the whole it self. I am sure that I haven't totally solved the problem so I have heard of people using house radiator descaler. How do you use this do you put it in and leave it for a couple of runs out then drain it. Also I won't be putting the drain tap back but a bolt, does anybody know the correct size and is it best to use brass. It looks like 1/2 UNC. 

Is it really UNF both ideas look good. However the job has just got more complex. I've been taking the small hoses off the heater box and its not just the inlet hose thats leaking but the box it self I have already ordered a single speed heater from NT I presume I am right 4A are just single speed , it certainly gets toasty enough with it switched on. Anyway has anybody got written instructions on how to get the heater box out. The manual just explains how to put one in I suppose I could just reverse the process but it might be easier if I could start the right way round If you I know what I mean. 

By the way Peter I have used Kays for years good company. If you are ever looking on ebay for acertain bolt screw or nut and can't find it phone kays they will give you the correct ebay number so that you can order it on ebay. 

Phil

10 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I had the heater box and heater out to inspect and clean - while I had the dashboard out.

I don’t know if you get it out with the dashboard still in.

The heater comes out with equal ease with dashboard in or out.:angry:

Roger

3 hours ago, phil Dean said:

Ok I have now taken the radiator out and although I have put a hose pipe thru i and it runs ok I will still get it checked out. On Rich suggestion I have removed the block drain plug because there was no lever left on it broken of and jammed I removed the whole plug. No water intaily came out of the hole but after poking about with a sharp pointed screw driver and then a small plastic rod water started to come out. When I put hose pipe water thru the top hose it ran out a a stream not blasting across hitting the inner wing but more than just dribbling. I did wonder would I get more pressure by taking the thermostat housing of and forcing water in that way or even thru the bottom hose.

Inside the plug /tap I found what looked like very fine casting sand. !! also in the whole it self. I am sure that I haven't totally solved the problem so I have heard of people using house radiator descaler. How do you use this do you put it in and leave it for a couple of runs out then drain it. Also I won't be putting the drain tap back but a bolt, does anybody know the correct size and is it best to use brass. It looks like 1/2 UNC. 

Hi Phil,

this is what you can find around #4 liner

And what it should look like

Try and find the drain hole !!!!

Roger

DSCF0224 (2)a.jpg

DSCF0222 - Copy (2) (1).JPG

Edited by RogerH

Got the heater out. Top left hand bolt/screw was a pig to get at and kept making cracking noises squeky bum time but kept slowly undoing loads of wd 40 then 1/4 turn to retighten then undo a bit further  took 1/2 hour but more prefreable to a sheard bolt. :wacko: see pick below whats the bracket on the front of the heater box  for should you feed the heater and choke cable thru there!!!

heater bracket.jpeg

Edited by phil Dean