Tr7 cylinder head

I have a 81 standard tr7 I don’t think the head has ever been off would that year of tr 7;have hardened valve seats also the spark plug threaded holes are getting a little sloppy has anyone any experience , knowledge of the insert that can be used  thanks 

The information I have come across over the years suggests the following:

1) Brico manufactured all(?) the valve seats for ali headed UK engines (Rover V8, Dolomite/TR7 engines)

2) They were all to the same spec

3) Brico said that the seats are OK for normal use with unleaded

4) US TR7 valve seats are the same as the UK items and the US has used unleaded since around 1980

Hope this helps. Its actually dug up from an old forum post from back in April 2006. I can’t credit the poster as he is long gone and only appears now as a guest…

3 hours ago, Propshaft said:

Thanks just need to hear from anyone regarding rethreading / thread inserting the spark plug hole 

I dont know if you still can but you used to be able to buy a kit to rethread, IIRC it came with a tap and an insert to fit in the head.

Stuart.

4 minutes ago, malcolm said:

Looks like you still can. I was keeping quiet as never tried it myself!

Had to use them a few times back in the day when racing Jaguars, Lag the tool in grease to contain the swarf and then spin it over to expel anything else after and they worked well. Only ever used on Ally heads mind.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes one of the reasons I bought this topic up was I set my valve clearances a couple of years ago after about 3 k miles just set them again and mainly the exhaust had closed up by about 8 thou so asking the question about hardened seats  thanks for all your replies 

• 1 month later...