Some ‘short oval’ for a rainy Sunday

During the last 10 years on this forum I hope I’ve been helpful now and again, and given at least some humour, some help and  some interesting posts - probably many dubious ones too! -and yes I am guilty of the occasional outburst especially on things like animal rights . 

I do however feel some people, especially the more regular users on here get ‘hung up’ about others and that seems to go on forever and a day with the silliness of ignoring posts, not replying or making communicating hard work (they will know who they are )and I don’t want to be part of that  ‘playground’ culture. However, I would not include Ian Cornish for helping with an overdrive solenoid issue, Mick Richards and RobH and a few others who’ve always been even handed.

So here is my parting post which I thought might be quite light hearted for a drizzly Sunday!

I’ve often mentioned short oval racing on here which might be of interest to a small group of forumites…?

Triumph wise, here is a photo I came across of a young Irishman called Ormond Christie who actually campaigned on the Spedeworth ovals, against a backdrop of predominantly Ford, in a Triumph Vitesse and then a Triumph Spitfire. He was reasonably successful in both. I do often wonder if Triumph might have designated the Spitfire a TR, as with the GT6, being diminutive in size but sharing much of the spirit and design culture of its bigger brothers.

IMG_1607.jpeg.81e75ba0827805c95f21f50bb2b8afdd.jpeg

IMG_6124.jpeg.cccff5ef9aa3869fddd8fd2591578941.jpeg

Ormond did eventually win the Spedeworth World Hot Rod title in 1981 in a Ford powered Toyota Starlet, and then again in 1983, 1985, 1996 and 1997 and was always a top performer over many years, (picture on a wet grid and looks like a last minute tyre change with a pensive Ormond Christie in the driver’s seat.) Whatever you might say about any particular sport you have to have something about you to win anything that many times. 

IMG_4802.thumb.jpeg.7f682d8c3147ba2440f16bd7aa8b6bd5.jpeg

IMG_6114.thumb.jpeg.02679656090fb9d5de0cbae89caab47a.jpeg

I remember asking Ormond how much he spent on racing and my specific question at that time was where he purchased his anti-roll bar. He replied by saying don’t waste your money, do as I do and do all the suspension work yourself and go down your local breakers yard! His philosophy was that racing retailers like Demon Tweaks could not possibly have had the development work, the quality and the breadth of OEM parts even from the most basic models, so he used the scrapyard as his source, costing just pennies! He was a clever Agricultural Engineer, but unfortunately Ormond died in 2019. 

I also came across a couple of photos of someone else I do remember racing and was particularly quick, Leon Smith. There is a track somewhere in North Devon or Cornwall where he won a championship in 1974 with this car though I’d never heard of that particular venue. He spoke in an educated way and was not short of a bob or two. In this photo I can just see a dry sump tank or hose connection to it in the back of the car, so it cost a pretty penny no doubt. This car was badly damaged at some point and he then appeared in a new Mk2 again sponsored by Charmaine Fashions.
Despite his appearance he actually held a BA in Economics and is still racing to this day, albeit in another formula.

IMG_5775.thumb.jpeg.7d0ebfafcbeb701d5bc9d82e39a04016.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg.4481972dc00b4704a9bd85691a5890cf.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg.5050565220573debec19e2a2c4d09e39.jpeg

I hope the spirit of the forum will continue to thrive and I thank everyone for the help given to me in the past.

Kevin

2 hours ago, boxofbits said:

During the last 10 years on this forum I hope I’ve been helpful now and again, and given at least some humour, some help and  some interesting posts - probably many dubious ones too! -and yes I am guilty of the occasional outburst especially on things like animal rights . 

I do however feel some people, especially the more regular users on here get ‘hung up’ about others and that seems to go on forever and a day with the silliness of ignoring posts, not replying or making communicating hard work (they will know who they are )and I don’t want to be part of that  ‘playground’ culture. However, I would not include Ian Cornish for helping with an overdrive solenoid issue, Mick Richards and RobH and a few others who’ve always been even handed.

So here is my parting post which I thought might be quite light hearted for a drizzly Sunday!

I’ve often mentioned short oval racing on here which might be of interest to a small group of forumites…?

Triumph wise, here is a photo I came across of a young Irishman called Ormond Christie who actually campaigned on the Spedeworth ovals, against a backdrop of predominantly Ford, in a Triumph Vitesse and then a Triumph Spitfire. He was reasonably successful in both. I do often wonder if Triumph might have designated the Spitfire a TR, as with the GT6, being diminutive in size but sharing much of the spirit and design culture of its bigger brothers.

IMG_1607.jpeg.81e75ba0827805c95f21f50bb2b8afdd.jpeg

IMG_6124.jpeg.cccff5ef9aa3869fddd8fd2591578941.jpeg

Ormond did eventually win the Spedeworth World Hot Rod title in 1981 in a Ford powered Toyota Starlet, and then again in 1983, 1985, 1996 and 1997 and was always a top performer over many years, (picture on a wet grid and looks like a last minute tyre change with a pensive Ormond Christie in the driver’s seat.) Whatever you might say about any particular sport you have to have something about you to win anything that many times. 

IMG_4802.thumb.jpeg.7f682d8c3147ba2440f16bd7aa8b6bd5.jpeg

IMG_6114.thumb.jpeg.02679656090fb9d5de0cbae89caab47a.jpeg

I remember asking Ormond how much he spent on racing and my specific question at that time was where he purchased his anti-roll bar. He replied by saying don’t waste your money, do as I do and do all the suspension work yourself and go down your local breakers yard! His philosophy was that racing retailers like Demon Tweaks could not possibly have had the development work, the quality and the breadth of OEM parts even from the most basic models, so he used the scrapyard as his source, costing just pennies! He was a clever Agricultural Engineer, but unfortunately Ormond died in 2019. 

I also came across a couple of photos of someone else I do remember racing and was particularly quick, Leon Smith. There is a track somewhere in North Devon or Cornwall where he won a championship in 1974 with this car though I’d never heard of that particular venue. He spoke in an educated way and was not short of a bob or two. In this photo I can just see a dry sump tank or hose connection to it in the back of the car, so it cost a pretty penny no doubt. This car was badly damaged at some point and he then appeared in a new Mk2 again sponsored by Charmaine Fashions.
Despite his appearance he actually held a BA in Economics and is still racing to this day, albeit in another formula.

IMG_5775.thumb.jpeg.7d0ebfafcbeb701d5bc9d82e39a04016.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg.4481972dc00b4704a9bd85691a5890cf.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg.5050565220573debec19e2a2c4d09e39.jpeg

I hope the spirit of the forum will continue to thrive and I thank everyone for the help given to me in the past.

Kevin

Hi Kev from another Oval Supporter,sorry to see you’re leaving the Forum I tried but failed miserably as I needed my Daily Triumph Fix.

Ormonds son John is also an Ex World Champ along with Glen(Dinger)Bell and another young NI Driver that is this years World Champ Derek Martin who’s father Keith Martin was also a World Champ,we also had a WC from Southern Ireland and that was Shane Murphy who has now switched to Circuit Racing and is proving hard to beat on the Track. 

A  shame you are really leaving Kevin. The forum will be poorer for it - thanks for all your input and all the best.

Edited by RobH
typo

Hi Kevin,

I took a rest from the forum earlier this year and then returned with a slightly different attitude.

Have a break but do come back -   the forum is a better place with known good folk contributing.

Roger

+1 don't leave Kevin!

I say that as a newer forum member. I was at The Oval yesterday when I saw this thread and thought it was about the Cricket (appalingly bad day 4)