Look at the release bearing from the front , if it is flat I is early (2,3or4) if it has a curve to it then it is later 4A onwards. There may be other ways which others may explain

Bob

3 hours ago, TimG said:

Does it take much to alter the release bearing set up?

The release bearing AND carrier assembly is different.  As Bob writes flat front for spring type clutch in 2/3/4.  Curved front on diaphragm clutch of 4A/5/6/250.  

bought the TR4 box from Alan Gibb. It looks clean inside, I'm a little concerned about wear on selector forks, is this bad or acceptable? Alan brought along a flat face release bearing but I dont know it if it came off the box but it does fit on the yoke as fitted, does the combination look OK. There is a little radial play on the input shaft, is the normal?

P8111706.jpg

P8111705.jpg

P8111704.jpg

P8111702.jpg

P8111703.jpg

P8111701.jpg

P8111698.jpg

P8111699.jpg

P8111700.jpg

Radial play!! - I assume that the end of the splined shaft has a small amount pf waggle.  This will be held in place by the pilot bearing in the crank.

The fork wear is typical and OK -  New ones not available.

The flat faced bearing is for   2/3/3A/4  pressure plates.

Roger 

Yes its waggle on the splined input. I have spare bushes for the clutch yoke shaft. Would be wise to flush the box out with paraffin or diesel?

• 5 weeks later...

With help from Lee Robinson we got to the bottom of the noises apparently coming from the gearbox. As the noise only started after starter motor failure & replacment by selling dealer I suspected that there was a link. Taking new starter off there is evidence of impact damage as photo. Taking the plate of at bottom of the bell housing we were unable to fish anything out, the gearbox had to come out with intention of replacing it with the TR4 box I have.

Removing the gearbox we found 3 broken off teeth not from ring gear as all there though some tip damage. They had to be from the old failed starter. It was obvious that the clutch release did not have long to go before failing totally. The car has a recon engine with almost zero miles when I bought the car. The clutch & spring pressure plate are clearly new. So the fit new clutch & not a new release bearing?

The rear mount bolts are about 10mm further back on the TR4 box needing elongating the rear mount holes on the chassis. However the input shaft spigot is a little shorter on the TR4 box so will not fit without an input shaft change. Dissapointingly we had to refit the old box with replacement rear mount a clutch release. All seems well now no noise after about 30 miles

P9051708.jpg

P9051714.jpg

P9051721.jpg

P9051722.jpg

P9051725.jpg