Notchy gear change.

The gear change feels notchy when you change gear not at first but when the engine gets warm. When I bought the car  a couple of months ago I checked all the levels and they were topped up. Could it be a case of draining the oil and filling with new In which case what would be the best oil. My mate says his TR6 is the same, when I test drove the car I noticed it then but TRGB said they are all like that. Its 35 years since my last TR4A and I can't remember the gear change feeling this notchy.

Phil

18 hours ago, phil Dean said:

The gear change feels notchy when you change gear not at first but when the engine gets warm. When I bought the car  a couple of months ago I checked all the levels and they were topped up. Could it be a case of draining the oil and filling with new In which case what would be the best oil. My mate says his TR6 is the same, when I test drove the car I noticed it then but TRGB said they are all like that. Its 35 years since my last TR4A and I can't remember the gear change feeling this notchy.

Phil

I have the saloon 4 synchro box with o/d in my 3A and have the opposite to you, mine is notchy when cold but OK when warm. I initially filled the box with EP80, but found gearchange to be reluctant even when hot, after advice on here changed to a GB40 oil which doesn`t have the extreme pressure additives and that improved things cold and hot, presumably allowing the synchro rings to do their job and slow down the gears to allow engagement. Also kinder on the o/d brake bands too.

Interestingly the Haynes manual reccomended lubricants charts say engine oil for TR2/3/3a (GTX), but say Hypoy for 4/4a, but same box apart from the extra synchro on first.

Ralph

11 hours ago, Nigel C said:

I was always told SAE 30?

That will work too.  Castrol GTX was (is?) a 20/50 multigrade, so a straight 30 or 40 oil should be fine, I prefer the GB40 as it is specially made for gearboxes though I don`t know how it varies from engine oil.

Ralph