After many years getting my 6 (CR series) back on the road, I m nearly there. First I need to put the seats back in. The original diaphragms have perished and I have removed them. I am trying to fit the new ones but finding it a struggle. Should I fit the clips to the diaphragm or the frame first? Also can somebody confirm that it is the smooth side of the diaphragm which is on the floor side?  

44 minutes ago, michaelfinnis said:

I found it far easier to fit the clips to the diaphragm first, you can then drag the clip into the hole in the frame with a decent pair of pliers or grips. Just needs a bit of perseverance.

As above but it is much easier if you have an extra pair of hands to hold the seat frame down. Lastly did you check the seat frames for broken welds. On my set of frames I had to repair at least 20 per frame and the passenger seat was the worst and my wife only weight 6 stone?

Bruce.

I have done this on my MGB GT, and found the rubber really hard to stretch the clips into the frame. Put the clips into the rubber first, I used a broom handle with a crew in cup hook into the handle, now you have two hands on the broom handle and pull up, first putting your toes into the frame on the floor, super amount of leverage!

John

This is a Moss USA  diaphragm installed.

I used a modified screwdriver to facilitate  the installation....saw that trick mentioned on forums.

still took every bit of remaining muscle to get the last clips in....... 

thumbnail_IMG_2519.jpg