Rear Surrey reglazing

I need some help please if you can

1. I have a 1966 TR4A with an original surrey. It is metal and  glass not a repro. During restoration the glass was removed and the seal disintegrated. The glass is a pretty good fit with the frame without the seal as you would expect. I am now rebuilding the car

2. I bought a seal from Rimmer which  a local windscreen company( who does lots of classics- he also fitted the new windscreen seal without issues on the day) tried to fit He says the seal is too big and it certainly will not fit on the glass.. Rimmer says it is the correct part. Since I bought it over a year ago, they will not take it back. I attach a photo

3. I bought another seal from Baines and the same problem

Questions

1. Can anybody give me some pointers on what I am am missing if it is the correct part

2. Where can I get a another seal

Thanks

gareth

IMG_7063.JPG

Hi Gareth,

I'm sure Stuart will give some help shortly.

I believe the best seals come from Moss.  They do appear on the big side but a fair bit of seal gets lost in the forward lower corners.

Best of ;uck

Roger

Hi Gareth

I did exactly the same job to my TR4 (original) backlight around 18 months ago. And had the same experience. Mine was a Moss seal and I found a good amount of excess seal when fitted to the glass. The tech guy at Moss (Adam) was excellent and very reassuring. He told me to tease the seal so that the excess was in the front lower corners (the big curves) and it would be "lost" during fitting to the frame. Sure enough it did and the finished result is perfect.

See below a pic of the seal on the glass before fitting. Looks wrong but it worked out just fine. I suspect your Rimmers seal is fine, otherwise the Moss item is perfect as Roger says

backlightseal.jpg

Classic windscreen fitters mistake if they have never fitted one before. The seal needs to be that big so that when fitted it goes right down into the corners at the bottom front of the frame. When fitting centralise the rubber so there is equal excess in each lower corner and you will end up with a perfect fit. I have one here that someone obviously thought that it was too long and has cut it down and there are gaps now in the corners you can see daylight through! A lot of time and effort by Moss went into getting the rubber right so dont diss them!

Stuart.

If the fitter has any doubts then get him to fit the seal to the frame without the glass, it's then obvious where the extra length is needed to go right into the bottom corners, after that it's seal on glass with the extra length evenly in both corners and fit to the frame in the usual way, the seal is gently eased into the corners.

Cheers Rob

Glad you got it fitted in the end, Gareth. The seals do appear to be too long and they can be tricky to keep on the screen while you're fitting it to the frame!

Here are two that I've just fitted. One went in really easily, the other put up a bit of a fight - and for no reason, it's just pot luck!

Please wait while image is uploading...

Black & red2.jpg

13 hours ago, Revival Motorsport said:

Glad you got it fitted in the end, Gareth. The seals do appear to be too long and they can be tricky to keep on the screen while you're fitting it to the frame!

Here are two that I've just fitted. One went in really easily, the other put up a bit of a fight - and for no reason, it's just pot luck!

Please wait while image is uploading...

Black & red2.jpg

Didnt Jeff Marks show you how easy they went in?

Stuart.

Just now, Revival Motorsport said:

He holds the Guiness World Record for fitting Surrey Screens ;-) I've fitted about half a dozen, he's lost count! 

You get used to it, Ive done a fair few as well.

Stuart.